•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPhone vs iPad for running SkySafari for an Evo.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

I seem to have better luck with my iPhone X than my iPad when controlling my Evo.   Partly the compass in the phone seems better, but more important the tilt controls on the iPad are very sluggish.  Sometimes it won’t stop slewing for several seconds after leveling the iPad. 

Anyone else seen seen this behavior?  

Related question, can I use the HC direction  buttons when doing an initial alignment in SkySafari?

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

Yes. The hand control speed/direction buttons are one of the few controls you can safely use while working in SkySafari.

I use a iPad Pro with SkySafari pro for control of my mount along with tilt control sometimes.

Have not seen a lag in response, but the large pad can be harder to level properly.

• Don W likes this

#3 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:36 PM

Can you explain what you are referring to by leveling the iPad and tilt ??

• jhbanister likes this

#4 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:33 AM

SkySafari allows yo to use either virtual buttons or tilt to control an Evo mount.   Some times leveling my iPad did not stop a slew while it did on my phone. 

#5 parebal0

parebal0

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alpharetta, GA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:36 PM

I seem to have better luck with my iPhone X than my iPad when controlling my Evo.   Partly the compass in the phone seems better, but more important the tilt controls on the iPad are very sluggish.  Sometimes it won’t stop slewing for several seconds after leveling the iPad. 

Anyone else seen seen this behavior?  

Related question, can I use the HC direction  buttons when doing an initial alignment in SkySafari?

Just to be clear Ski, you cannot use the HC to move your scope for the initial alignment when using SkySafari.  Your iPad or phone must be used to do the alignment steps.  Post alignment, the HC direction buttons can be used to move the scope.   Peter A.

#6 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

Just to be clear Ski, you cannot use the HC to move your scope for the initial alignment when using SkySafari.  Your iPad or phone must be used to do the alignment steps.  Post alignment, the HC direction buttons can be used to move the scope.   Peter A.

I was afraid that was the case.  I really like the HC buttons, but would like to use SkySafari.  We have had uncharacteristically cloudy skies this Summer and early Fall so I haven't gotten back out to experiment with my Evo.

#7 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

I have stopped using the WiFi connectivity on my Evo8 simply because my iPad and iPhone dont like the cold, making winter visual observation difficult. I forced myself to learn the HC and now I usually turn the WiFi off. I also bought a dew strip-like heater for the HC.

#8 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

I have stopped using the WiFi connectivity on my Evo8 simply because my iPad and iPhone dont like the cold, making winter visual observation difficult. I forced myself to learn the HC and now I usually turn the WiFi off. I also bought a dew strip-like heater for the HC.

I'm surprised about the cold.  I use my iPhone all the time outside in the winter.  I have not had the iPad long enough to have any experience with it in the cold.  Are you observing in Kentucky or some where colder?

Edited by Ski-Patroller, 25 September 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#9 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

My iPad seems OK down to the upper 30's, but then I get cold. :) The annoying part is having to wear gloves.

#10 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:30 PM

I'm surprised about the cold.  I use my iPhone all the time outside in the winter.  I have not had the iPad long enough to have any experience with it in the cold.  Are you observing in Kentucky or some where colder?

Kentucky. Between the cold and the gloves the iPad seems to whine and complain. It’s used to Cupertino weather, I guess. I don’t find the hand control to be much of a problem. This winter I will be controlling my ASIair with the iPad, hopefully from within the house if the WiFi gods permit.

#11 jrbranc

jrbranc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

If your iPad is WiFi only, then it has not GPS and therefore will limit your ability to use it with SkyPortal. 

• NMBob likes this

#12 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

If your iPad is WiFi only, then it has not GPS and therefore will limit your ability to use it with SkyPortal. 

Are you sure there's no GPS in a Wi-Fi iPad?  I tend to doubt that, since all the Tablets I've owned, Android or iOS, have been WiFi only, and have had GPS (I've had about 25 Tablets).

#13 parebal0

parebal0

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:00 PM

Are you sure there's no GPS in a Wi-Fi iPad?  I tend to doubt that, since all the Tablets I've owned, Android or iOS, have been WiFi only, and have had GPS (I've had about 25 Tablets).

Hey Bean...  my relatively new iPad Pro , WiFi only, no cellular, does not have any GPS capability.  From what I’ve read, nor do any of the non cellular, iPads.  Non cellar iPads use WiFi triangulation to determine your global location, and maybe that’s why you believe all your non cellular devices have had a gps.  

I use my iPad exclusively to control my Evo 9.25, so this should not discourage anyone from using it at any remote site, which I often do.  You can pre locate the gps coordinates in SkySafari for it anywhere globally, and recall those coordinates when you’re at your site. You can also wifi hotspot from your phone to your iPad, assuming you have a cellular signal, and your iPad/SkySafari, will then know your exact location.   Hope this helps clear things up a bit....Peter A.

#14 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:52 AM

"maybe that’s why you believe all your non cellular devices have had a gps."...  ????

Actually, ALL my Android tablets (Nexus-7, 9, 10, Samsung Tab, Amazon Fire, etc.) in the "Location" settings, give me the option of WiFi, GPS, or Both.  Same with my older Galaxy & Moto Phones, which I now use just for astronomy.  And my iPad-II had it, but I just realized it was a '3G' version. That's really rotten for Apple folks, isn't it?

Wi-Fi:
Wi-Fi
Digital compass

Wi-Fi + 3G:
Wi-Fi
Digital compass
Assisted GPS
Cellular

#15 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

Wow - that was the first I heard that WiFi only iPads do NOT have GPS.  So, a quick check with Google and I learned not only no GPS receiver, no compass either.

Bean is correct that almost all Android tablets have GPS and compass except for the very, very budget models (which usually can't run SkyPortal/SkySafari anyway).

Now I just need to remember this fact so I don't keep telling iPad users "don't worry about manually entering long/lat into SkyPortal/SkySafari, the tablet will sync with the GPS satellites and provide it when you are out in the field".  Apple is making my brain work too hard...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#16 parebal0

parebal0

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

Wow - that was the first I heard that WiFi only iPads do NOT have GPS.  So, a quick check with Google and I learned not only no GPS receiver, no compass either.

Bean is correct that almost all Android tablets have GPS and compass except for the very, very budget models (which usually can't run SkyPortal/SkySafari anyway).

Now I just need to remember this fact so I don't keep telling iPad users "don't worry about manually entering long/lat into SkyPortal/SkySafari, the tablet will sync with the GPS satellites and provide it when you are out in the field".  Apple is making my brain work too hard...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Hey Mike.... happy to have provided a bit of new information for you, especially considering your vast knowledge base of Nexstar.   I’ve put to good use a great deal of the information you share, and have always been appreciative.... Peter A.

#17 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:16 PM

If you want to spend the money, you can get an external GPS which will plug into the lightning connector on your iPad.

https://www.amazon.c...71159760&sr=8-3

#18 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Apparently the 9.7 model does have a compass and accelerameter but no GPS.  I think I have bluetooth GPS module around here somewhere that will work on my iPod.

#19 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

If you want to spend the money, you can get an external GPS which will plug into the lightning connector on your iPad.

https://www.amazon.c...71159760&sr=8-3

I bought the GPS referenced here and it arrived today. I turned off the WiFi and it worked just fine in a couple of apps that need location info.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics