•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Enough with the Taks!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
411 replies to this topic

#401 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Joe,

I live just outside of Philadelphia, so I deal with the same conditions, if not worse. And yes, in ain’t pretty.

However…

One of the reasons to get a high quality optic is because they perform better in ALL types of seeing.

And average optic adds aberrations to those already in the seeing. A really excellent optic does not add additional aberrations. It’s the same reason you want a good diagonal and good eyepieces. 

The below is “just an example” but here is what Roland Christen has to say…

“The real test of a good optic versus a mediocre one is that the (planetary) image will stay relatively unaffected by “small” distortions in the upper atmosphere. If the optic is essentially perfect, and you add 1/4 wave of atmospheric disturbance, you will still be essentially diffraction limited.

“If, however, the optic already is degraded by surface errors to ¼ wave, and then you add another 1/4 wave of atmospheric disturbance, the resultant image will not be diffraction limited, and detail will be much more degraded. If the seeing is 1/2 wave and the scope is ½ wave, then you will see almost nothing.”

As far as deep sky observing in heavy light pollution. Try EAA. A $300 video camera will amaze you. The more expensive, but the, as-easy-to-use-as-an-eyepiece, Image Intensifiers will also amaze. With my intensifier, I can see the Horse Head Nebula with a 120mm refractor any clear night, and I’m 8 miles from Philadelphia!

I like yard bomb and those mosquito repellent fans. They seem to be pretty effective.

So there are solutions. Keep your chin up!

Bob

Thanks Bob, that’s very good information and makes a lot of sense. 

That is amazing, seeing the horse head from around here! I heard EAA opens a whole new experience and your experience proves it!

Thanks again! Some good news and something for me to strive for!

joe

#402 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

I will say this with regard to my Taks. Seeing is believing. Until you do, you won’t. Yes, they really are that good. When I got my two, it was game over in that caliber of refractor for me. Every one before that left me always thinking of something else. I’ve had lots of telescopes. When I got the Taks, it was like being home. I started selling instead of buying. My TeleVue has had a similar effect.  It’s being completely satisfied. I don’t know any other way to put it.

#403 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

Resolving power of a Tak, I guess, is at least quadruple that of Dawes limit?  Split a 0.5" double with only 60mm, I guess?  A really big Tak should reveal life on planets of other stars.lol.gif

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 12 September 2019 - 08:33 PM.

#404 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:20 PM

Resolving power of a Tak, I guess, is at least quadruple that of Dawes limit?  Split a 0.5" double with only 60mm, I guess?  A really big Tak should reveal life on planets of other stars.lol.gif

As good as they are, I just can’t even come close to affording a Tak. Maybe a finder. Maybe

The industry I worked in (newspaper) imploded and then collapsed into a black hole and sucked my little bit in with it.

I’m so poor, I went to McDonalds and put a cheeseburger on lay-a-way!

I’m so poor, I can’t even pay attention!

I’m so poor, I had to get a thesaurus. Now I'm impecunious.

Nope. No Tak in my life.

I might as well sell everything I have and start an email stamp collection.  crazy.gif

Edited by Joe1950, 12 September 2019 - 09:22 PM.

#405 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:18 AM

As good as they are, I just can’t even come close to affording a Tak. Maybe a finder. Maybe

The industry I worked in (newspaper) imploded and then collapsed into a black hole and sucked my little bit in with it.

I’m so poor, I went to McDonalds and put a cheeseburger on lay-a-way!

I’m so poor, I can’t even pay attention!

I’m so poor, I had to get a thesaurus. Now I'm impecunious.

Nope. No Tak in my life.

I might as well sell everything I have and start an email stamp collection.  crazy.gif

Ah a fellow newspaper victim. Work hard with high integrity paid next to nothing and watch your coworkers go down one or 5 or 10 at a time until they get to you. Been there man. Did you work editorial, press area or advertising?

Edited by Nippon, 13 September 2019 - 02:19 AM.

#406 marcus_z

marcus_z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:54 AM

Actually as I understand it the Tak 76mm is a bit oversized (often it is described as being sized like a 100mm scope). I wouldn't take it fitting in an overhead bin for granted.

FC-76D in its flight case...brick.gif
FC-76D Case and Acessories

#407 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:12 AM

It is always going to happen, and not just by Takahashi owners, even the OP of this thread did it recently when a member asked about choosing between APM, TV or Tak scopes and was told by the OP and another member the benefits of a SW120ED and a 102F11........... my point is, the suggestions are made with good intent, perhaps the enquirer had not realised that there were other options, but if you don't like the post just move onto the next one.

I have lost count of the times I have heard that there is no point buying a premium refractor when you can get 95% of the performance for one third the price, my Seiko gives 95% of the performance of a Rolex or Omega but I would still like to have them for their fine craftsmanship, maybe one day.....

As for signatures being displayed, I like to read what equipment combinations people choose and enjoy, but for those who are offended by the signatures, there is a feature that allows one to turn it off.

These are just my views, your views hopefully differ, that's what makes the forum interesting....... smile.gif

Oh how I love words taken out of context.

For the umpteenth time, praising a Tak, owning a Tak, and reccomending a Tak, are not the issue here. I think its fantastic if you found a product you love. The issue is instances that read similar to, "hey if you want to get a real performer, then you need to buy a Tak, not a chinese rebranded optic with poor quality control and an inferior build. Sure they are more expensive, but with the chinese scopes you're just throwing your money away." This is obviously being paraphrased, but comments that read along these lines are far too commonplace here, and very different that a simple, "if your looking for a do it all 3", is suggest you take a look at Takahashi. I've had my 76 for years now and its never disappointed." I sincerely hope I don't have to explain the difference here.

#408 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:17 AM

For the last time:

1. Anybody doesn't like anybody else's opinions / posts, use the ignore feature

2. If anybody else's opinions / posts fly against the Terms of Service, please use the "Notify Moderator" button

#409 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:23 AM

So, is there anything else worth saying that has not been said in the previous 409 posts? 

#410 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:24 AM

So, is there anything else worth saying that has not been said in the previous 409 posts? 

I think it has been covered pretty well so far.... cool.gif   We can now go back to being friends flowerred.gif

#411 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:34 AM

For the last time:

1. Anybody doesn't like anybody else's opinions / posts, use the ignore feature

2. If anybody else's opinions / posts fly against the Terms of Service, please use the "Notify Moderator" button

I dont think anyone is trying to say people are violating the TOS, I'm certainly not. But just because something isn't a violation, it can still be a real lousy thing to say. And in reality this isn't exclusive to any one group, just as of late the most instances have been from Tak owners.

As far ignoring posts you don't like, c'mon let's be real, thats not a solution. If it was there wouldn't be a plethora of posts on this thread from Tak owners who have a problem with this topic. They would have ignored it and moved on.

#412 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:39 AM

Noted. And since the issue was raised and discussed ad nauseum, I think it is time to lay this to rest since as you say, there are no TOS violations by said Tak owners.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics