•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10Micron HPS Mounts - The Original Absolute Encoder Mounts

mount
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

10Micron_Logo_AIC_2017_t.png

10Micron HPS High-Precision Absolute Encoder Mounts – True Precision for your Astronomical Future

In this thread, we will talk about the features and benefits of the various 10Micron mounts from the GM1000HPS to the GM4000HPS, from the AZ1000HPS to the AZ8000DDS.  Per the TOS, please limit questions to clarification of the information presented.  A thorough discussion of the mounts and their features can be pursued in the Mounts forum if desired.

10Micron Astro Technology has been the leader in manufacturing the world’s best consumer and professional (up to 1 meter) line of premium telescope mounts fully incorporating absolute encoders and cutting edge technology for over 7 years.  The HPS mounts are available in both German equatorial and Altitude/Azimuth versions both offering the highest accuracy, greatest precision, and fastest hybrid worm/belt-driven movement combined with the best user experience of all mounts available today.  10Micron HPS mounts are available in sizes from the smallest, most portable, and most affordable mount with integrated absolute encoders from any manufacturer, up to observatory class HPS mounts with 550 lbs (250kg), dual scope capacities.  10Micron’s mount technology (including both the current HPS and the older QCI technologies) has been used for thousands of hours in the field by customers around the globe.  The mounts are used for everything from high precision visual observing, long-exposure imaging, and, satellite tracking, to sky surveys, satellite tracking, variable star measurements, and exoplanet searches.  Their robust technology is used from the hottest to coldest environments and from the lowest to highest elevations.

Features, including those unique and cutting edge features, that have been incorporated in the 10Micron HPS mounts from the start, include:

• High-resolution absolute encoders on both axes,
  • A fully functional heated hand controller and an identical virtual hand controller,
  • Zero backlash hybrid belt and worm drive,
  • Self-adjusting spring-loaded worms for temperature adaptation,
  • Internal precision balancing routine,
  • Internal modeling routine requiring a maximum of 100 points for the highest precision operation,
  • Fully automated modeling using an imaging camera and available freeware and many of today’s imaging and plate solving packages,
  • Internal polar alignment routines not requiring a polar scope or a view of poles,
  • Internal automatic refraction adjustments,
  • Slew speeds up to 20 degrees per second (mount version dependent),
  • Whisper quiet slewing and tracking,
  • Dual-axis tracking,
  • Custom tracking rates,
  • Slip/compression clutching in smaller mounts and moveable worm clutching in larger mounts,
  • Tracking up to 35 degrees past the meridian in firmware, 45 degrees in hardware,
  • Precision unguided and guided performance,
  • Internal mount cabling with through-the-mount equipment cabling available with larger mounts,
  • All machined aluminum, stainless steel, and bronze parts,
  • Hardest and most durable anodized finish available,
  • Industrial Linux computer control system with a single cable to the mount,
  • Capability to image without any external PC (iOS coming soon),
  • Communication through WiFi (client and hotspot), ethernet (client or direct cross-over), and serial connections,
  • Easy, direct integration with external sensory and control packages for GPS, weather, time, and remote power up/down,
  • Wide temperature operations with a special low-temperature option down to -31°F (-35°C),
  • Internal and external logging routines for quick diagnosis of mount and user issues to avoid having to conduct extensive user experimentation and avoid having to ever send a mount in for evaluation,
  • Full ASCOM compatibility allowing use with all of today’s planetarium, control, and imaging software,
  • Separable RA and DEC axes for easy transportation (GM2000HPS only),
  • Top class tripods manufactured by 10Micron with unguided imaging in mind.

10Micron mounts, particularly the GM1000HPS and GM2000HPS mounts, are generally available for shipping within one to two weeks.  The longest delivery times are three months in exceptional circumstances when stock has been exhausted and a production run just begun.

Deep Space Products is your one-stop-shop for 10Micron presales consultation, sales, after-sales support, and mount servicing in North and South America including all mounts sold in the United States regardless of the dealer.  If you are interested in 10Micron, then you need to know us.

DSP_Logo_Round_Small_No_Background_t.png

• 3 i Guy and psandelle like this

#2 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:47 AM

Hi Ed, the list can be extended with the important fact that the command-protocol is fully documented.

For me this was, next to the above list, the deal maker to choose for 10Micron.

I used the command protocol documentation to write this INDI device driver https://www.indilib..../10-micron.html

-- Hans

• Tonk, psandelle and Der_Pit like this

#3 EFT

EFT

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for mentioning that.  Nice looking program.

#4 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

@Hans: Many thanks for that driver!  (Even though I don't have a 10μ, but that might well be a 'not yet' wink.gif )

@Ed: Mentioning INDI support next to ASCOM might very well be worth it, seeing the growing amount of Stellarmate/ASIAir/Astroberry units.

#5 EFT

EFT

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

Yes, it was certainly an oversight on my part to not mention the INDI support.  Out of sight out of mind.

#6 TestnDoc

TestnDoc

Viking 1

• Loc: USandA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

Another cool feature that is often overlooked, is that you can turn the 10Micron mount on remotely using the LAN wakeup feature, which is a feature you can activate in the hand controller. Using a Windows Magic packet, you can fire the mount up from anywhere, without the need for a remote on/off switch. Cool feature.

• psandelle and CHILESCOPE like this

#7 CHILESCOPE

CHILESCOPE

Vendor (Chilescope)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:54 AM

Another cool feature that is often overlooked, is that you can turn the 10Micron mount on remotely using the LAN wakeup feature, which is a feature you can activate in the hand controller. Using a Windows Magic packet, you can fire the mount up from anywhere, without the need for a remote on/off switch. Cool featureVery interesting

Very interesting! Could you please drop me a link to find more details regarding Windows Magic packet

At the moment working on this with our new setup in Chile

Attached Thumbnails

• engperf.jpeg

• zjc26138, psandelle and R Botero like this

#8 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:08 AM

Very interesting! Could you please drop me a link to find more details regarding Windows Magic packet

It has nothing to do with Windows.  WoL (Wake-on-LAN) is an Ethernet standard, see e.g. here.  There's various software for all kind of operating systems to generate the needed packet (based on the MAC address of the target device).

• psandelle and CHILESCOPE like this

#9 CHILESCOPE

CHILESCOPE

Vendor (Chilescope)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:19 AM

It has nothing to do with Windows.  WoL (Wake-on-LAN) is an Ethernet standard, see e.g. here.  There's various software for all kind of operating systems to generate the needed packet (based on the MAC address of the target device).

Thanks a lot. Obviously LAN solution is more clean than sending those 2 sec impulses to the remote switch even if our  IP relay controller supports this 

Edited by CHILESCOPE, 11 September 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#10 TestnDoc

TestnDoc

Viking 1

• Loc: USandA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

Here is the Microsoft Windows Magic packet app: https://www.microsof...vot:overviewtab

• CHILESCOPE likes this

#11 aitke12

aitke12

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Abu Dhabi

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

love my 4000HPS!!!

• Tonk, guyroch and psandelle like this

#12 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:40 PM

There are a couple of things WoL can't do and for these reasons I still use the Ext socket terminal short method.

1. You can use a mini UPS (of the type that is designed to sit inside desktop PCs and auto shutdown the PC via the motherboard power on/off header socket) to directly shut down the 10Micron mount controller on power failure via the Ext socket and without the need for watch dog software.
Doing this direct hardware approach eliminates the need to have a network connecting a PC, LAN switches and routers that are needed to route the software commanded shut down. The latter items may not be under the control of your UPS either - very true if you are in a commercial remote observatory and connected to their network. I.e. their UPS protection may shut part of the communications down before your part is done.

See here for my custom solution -  https://www.astrobin...406618/?nc=user  .

Case in point - last weeks Gota Fria weather event (https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Cold_drop) in south eastern Spain needed the facility that my rig is hosted in to have an emergency shut down due to a powerful approaching electrical storm. The staff there need to manually shut down most rigs - but they know that they can literally pull the plug on mine and everything has a clean shut down. When power is back my system auto boots back to where it was - doesn't need me.

2. Shorting the Ext socket terminals for 10+ seconds forces a hardware shut down of the 10Micron mount controller even when the controller might be otherwise unresponsive. This is immensely useful when there is a local network problem and you cant otherwise communicate  with the controller or when the mount hangs up a long time on booting (mine has done this a few times). In either case a 10+ second pulse gets the mount off regardless and an immediate following 2 second pulse reboots it - essential when you are 1500 miles away.

3. I have three relays set up across the Ext socket terminals - one is an IP controlled relay, the second is a USB controlled relay and the third is UPS controlled (discussed in point 1).  This level of redundancy and different control methods has meant that on the handful of occasions I have lost network control of the mount or it is hung up - I have always found a method to get the remote mount shut down and optionally restarted - without needing the assistance of on-site staff who are always in bed at 4:00am when this happens to you.

Edited by Tonk, 18 September 2019 - 04:46 AM.

• guyroch, psandelle and Der_Pit like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics