•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FINALLY! A great night tonight!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:39 AM

Was able to fully test the Arcturus Binoviewer on my Orion 150 Mak this evening.  The monsoon season seems to be wrapping up here in AZ and the clouds dissipated quickly after sundown. I set the binoviewer up with a pair of 15mm SV Bony wide angle 68* eyepieces (same as Orion Expanse).  I used 1/4" pin striping tape to fill the eyepiece undercuts and it worked great - no alignment issues at all. The views of Saturn and Jupiter were spectacular and the moon was almost "scary"! This seems to be an ideal eyepiece for the binoviewer and I read where someone else did the same with a pair of 20mm Expanse clones.  Due to the added focal length caused by the binoviewer, I think the overall magnification came out to about 150X which for me is a good compromise for planetary viewing. This worked so well I then set up my 102 SkyWatcher Mak and tried the binoviewer on it and was surprised at how well even this small Mak performed. I tested both scopes on a Twilight 1 alt-az mount. The 150 Mak with binoviewer may be close to the limit of this mount, but using vibration pads on the legs made it very acceptable.  I need to do the altitude arm reinforcement mod that I read about here in CN. I spent about 3 hours out and temps were in the mid 80s  when I finished and no mosquitoes for a change.

Frank

Tucson

• Jim Waters, REC, Aquarellia and 5 others like this

#2 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:50 AM

I have it in my head on precisely how to make the mounting-arm of a Twilight I solid throughout, and then appearing as though it left the factory that way.  Not a lot of work, really, and relatively little expense to effect it.

#3 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:17 AM

Well Yippee-Eye-Oh-Ki-Yay!

- Cal

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:34 AM

Change out the bolts that attach the legs to the tripod of the Twilight I.  They are oddly made and of poor quality.  One of mine had enough tilt of the shaft relative to the head that standing it on end matched the tilt angle of the leaning tower of Pisa (I measured it.)  The shoulder of the stock bolts is odd and doesn't extend all the way through the leg and mount flanges to the other side, so the threads are part of the bearing surface on one side in stock configuration.  This seems to impact stability too.

#5 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:56 AM

Change out the bolts that attach the legs to the tripod of the Twilight I.  They are oddly made and of poor quality.  One of mine had enough tilt of the shaft relative to the head that standing it on end matched the tilt angle of the leaning tower of Pisa (I measured it.)  The shoulder of the stock bolts is odd and doesn't extend all the way through the leg and mount flanges to the other side, so the threads are part of the bearing surface on one side in stock configuration.  This seems to impact stability too.

RE: "Change out the bolts that attach the legs to the tripod of the Twilight I".

Which bolts did you choose?

- Cal

#6 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:50 AM

Interesting about the legs.  I'm going to look into that today. Also, could one of you give me the link to the altitude arm modification here on CN using some kind of flat blocks (?) with screws.  I couldn't find it earlier. I was going to use a piece of aluminum bar stock but the machine shops around here are apparently loaded to capacity work wise, and I no longer have a machinist friend who could do it.

Frank

Tucson

#7 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

RE: "Change out the bolts that attach the legs to the tripod of the Twilight I".

Which bolts did you choose?

- Cal

Here is the link to the leg mod:  link

My post about the bolts is #41.  M8x1.25x70 is what I found locally, would have liked a 75, but the 70's shoulder reached halfway across the outer flange.  These were strong bolts roughly grade 8 equivalent.  Rereading what I found, the problem with the bolt angle was not with the original bolt head being angled, but the nut which was threaded at a very odd angle, so I replaced the nuts as well. 

The same link above includes some of the arm mods.  Here is another.  And another.

• Cali likes this

#8 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

Great report! I'm looking for some good skies starting tomorrow for the rest of the week. I need to get as much time on Saturn and Jupiter as I can as they are heading west and that is not a good part of the sky from my backyard observing site.

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

Frank, again, this is uplifting to read.

Pete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics