•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skysafari - Align button?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

Meant to ask this some time back:

On the Skysafari app when connecting/connected to a mount - in this case a Skywatcher Az GTi.

There is a little button at the lower right that states "Align", one of 4 from memory.

What does it do ?

I have always done the usual goto alignment via the Skywatcher Synscan App. Easy and I assume the "correct" route to a peacefule life. Some memory says that the Align on Skysafari is not for mount alignment (?). If so what does it do?

It is there and at some upcoming outreach someone is going to ask if they can use that instead of the assorted Meade/Skywatcher handsets. And I would prefer to be able to say Yes or (I expect) No, but would like to be able to say what it does.

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:13 AM

On mine I have a choice between <Connect and align> and <Align>.

Selecting either one starts the Celestron StarSense alignment process.

I'd imagine that selecting it on yours does essentially the same thing - starts the mount alignment process.

When I first started using SkySafari it worked along side the hand controller, now it seems there is a trend to replace the hand control with a tablet, phone or computer.

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Think I have found it - case of Read the Manual.

Align is if the scope is pointed at X and Skysafari is centered on Y.

Basically if there is a mismatch between the actual and presumed target.

I have to select the actual object in view in the scope in Skysafari then use Align to put Skysafari on the same target. In effect get scope and Skysafari to match.

Never had to use it as the scope and Skysafari have always matched.

So it aligns Skysafari to the actual target (if there is a difference).

The scope alignment for mine appears necessary to perform via the Synscan app - Connect and Align reads as only Celestron, also cannot recall ever seeing Connect and Align. No problem with that.

In effect there is Alignment for the goto through the Synscan App, and, Align so that the Scope and Skysafari are in Sync.

• wrvond likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics