•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daystar Quark First Light / The Good and The Bad

solar observing report equipment observing
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

I ordered a Quark Combo from Woodland Hills & Telescope and it arrived yesterday just in time for a first light in the late afternoon.  I set it up with a TS 102ED f/11 and a 2x Powermate.  The Powermate was first inline with a UV/IR filter screwed in the front which put the scope around  f/27, due to the extended distance to the Quark.  Following the Powermate was a 2" GSO star diagonal.  Into the star diagonal went the Quark.  Into the Quark went a TeleVue Binoview without the amplifier/Corrector.  And in the TeleVue Binoview was a pair of Meade Series 5000 HD 25mm; which gave about 112x.  So far so good.

The Quark took only 8 minutes to come on band and was ready by the time I had everything set up. 
The sun had moved behind a tree by that time and the branches were doing sought of a strip tease, allowing only flitting glances of the sun as they stirred gently in a breeze.  But in those initial glances I got excited by what I was seeing.  At long last the sun past from behind the tree and I got my first real look.  Wow, what a view!  Razor sharp along the edge with a single prominence surrounded by a prairie fire.  The orange skin texture of the chromosphere was identifiable but not with much detail at this point. The Quark was still just on the default setting.  But the sharpness along the limb was amazing.  And then it happened...

I moved the scope to the opposite side of the sun and noticed what appeared to be a shadow along the limb, covering about 1/3 the circumference of the sun.  It didn't look right.  I switch star diagonals, changed eyepieces (Badder zoom and Celestron Omni 32mm).  Rotated the eyepieces to see if it moved.  Nothing worked.  And by that time the sun was behind the tree line.  Not so good.

Morning came and it was my good fortune skies for the most part were clear.  But distance clouds to the west threatened to move in before noon.  A quick breakfast and I was out the door setting up in the garden.  With everything in place I lower my eyes to the binoviews and saw what I was hopping was just an anomaly caused by the low altitude of the sun or some unseen tree limb the day before.  But the shadow along a part of the solar limb was still there. 

Several attempts to isolate the problem failed. I removed the star diagonal and inserted the Quark straight into the Powermate in case it was a misaligned diagonal  mirror.  I noticed this time the shadow moved.  So I knew was on to something.  I rotated the Powermate and kept the Quark in the relative same position.  The shadow was more or less in the same place.  I then rotated the Quark and the shadow move with it!  And each time I rotated the Quark the shadow moved relative to the side of the temperature control switch.

I reassembled the optical train as it was originally and saw the shadow again.  Then rotated only the Quark and the shadow once again move with it.  

I'm now waiting to hear back form Daystar.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Edited by ICit2, 10 September 2019 - 06:51 PM.

#2 BabyPepper

BabyPepper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

very possibly a lard of glue or the immersion oil came undone.   Most companies are famous for using an excessive amount of silicon type glue clear to hold things, and unfortunatly sometimes it just does not stay where it was meant to after the engineer twists and tightens things together.  Ive had visible globs of the stuff on many of my lunt h-alpha gear.

It is entirely possible your quark is damaged, or just one of the "bad ones" that has a poorly selected piece of mica.   

The most likely scenario is that your thermal electric heater has a damaged element and is not uniformly heating the circular area properly, it might not seated on the mounting ring entirely so only a portion is getting the hot..      

the best thing for you to do is not touch it any further and return it.

Edited by BabyPepper, 10 September 2019 - 11:08 PM.

#3 BabyPepper

BabyPepper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:43 PM

one other situation but unlikely is that your optical axis may not be square after all your heavy equipment is placed on the quark.

There could be some sagging or tilt introduced somewhere.

#4 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

one other situation but unlikely is that your optical axis may not be square after all your heavy equipment is placed on the quark.

There could be some sagging or tilt introduced somewhere.

Thanks for the info!  The thermal electric heater being damaged or excessive amount of silicon didn't occur to me.  I considered the optical axis being off on my setup.  And so I loosened the eyepiece clamp and tipped the Quark a bit, from side to side, to see if the shadow would shift.  It didn't move.  Nor when I loosed the powermate and star diagonal a bit.  But if I rotate the Quark the shadow moves in relation to the Quark temperature switch. Rotating it 180 puts the shadow on the opposite side.  

When I say "shadow" I don't me a dark spot or section.  It's like a double transparent sun that's slightly shifted off to one side, covering about a third of solar limb. It looks like this:

Quark seeing double copy

#5 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Not sure I fully grasp what is going on.

I had a smudge on the top of my Quark which reduced contrast and was visible...cleaned with Baader fluid.

If you see stria when panning over sun, it's mica. I do not notice it unless I am panning.

#6 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

When I first took the bottom cap off the Quark I noticed a small circular smudge on the bottom filter.  I didn't like that none too much.  But decided to leave it alone and not to try and clean it.   You think that would cause the double image?

Quark spot  copy

#7 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

Contact Daystar. That's a blocking filter. They thought my smudge (which was on the other end) might be inside, still the cleaning wiped it away. I do not see it clearly whether this smudge appears to be inside or outside.

Surprised that 1000 USD plus items get off the production line in such state...regularly.

#8 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, I can't tell either if it's in or out.  The mirror on the filter makes it hard to tell.  I have contacted Daystar and explained all of this to them yesterday through a series of back and forth e-mails. Though, I forgot to mention the smudge on the filter.  Just waiting now to see where it goes from here.

#9 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

Send it back to Woodland Hills for a replacement.

#10 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

Just an update on my Quark situation...  I sent it back to Daystar for them to have a look at it.  They found that the blocking filter was causing a reflection which produced the double limb.  Daystar replaced the filter and sent it back.  All systems go now. waytogo.gif

• hopskipson and MalVeauX like this

#11 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:15 AM

Well we are in the run up to the Mercury transit and so Daystar and the other vendors are going to be working overtime.  

It is very similar to the bonkers orders for SCTs in the 1980s (Halley's comet) that led Celestron to produce beyond its capability for quality control, and so ruined the reputation of an entire generation of SCTs.

I had this in mind when I ordered my Quark combo about 11 months before the total solar eclipse.

In the aftermath of a hugely popular event, you have to wait for them to clear the over stock before they fall back into the regular production pace.  Who knows how long that takes.  I would give it six months to a year.  

Anyhow you got yours and it seems to be working so that's good.

You will find that the 4x power mate gives better views.  At least, I have seen that more than once at NEAF and it is my personal experience.  It is counter-intuitive because usually greater magnification softens an image.  But the 4x offers more to see.  Somehow it offers a wavelength with which the Quark is more comfortable.  The 2x I use for newbies who expect to see the sun and are disoriented by a partial disk.

When I got into Quark World I didn't realize I was in for 2 gs what with the two power mates.  

Greg N

#12 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:00 AM

You will find that the 4x power mate gives better views.  At least, I have seen that more than once at NEAF and it is my personal experience.  It is counter-intuitive because usually greater magnification softens an image.  But the 4x offers more to see.  Somehow it offers a wavelength with which the Quark is more comfortable.  The 2x I use for newbies who expect to see the sun and are disoriented by a partial disk.

Interesting. I found that with normal Quark (which has 4.3x telecentric) my best results center around 1mm exit pupil. So 32mm plossl with Tak and 25mm plossl with Borg. Above 100x I quickly run out of seeing...

• gnowellsct likes this

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

Interesting. I found that with normal Quark (which has 4.3x telecentric) my best results center around 1mm exit pupil. So 32mm plossl with Tak and 25mm plossl with Borg. Above 100x I quickly run out of seeing...

Well if I'm doing the calculation correctly I'm in 63x (40 mm) to 85x (30 mm) territory, that's with the 4x power mate.  For the 2x cut those numbers to 37x and 42x.      A 1mm exit pupil would be 92x.  I do occasionally use the 24 Pan (53x and 106x) which is somewhat smaller exit pupil than 1 mm.  Not a lot, but around 15%.  To get to 1 mm exit pupil I would need a 28 mm ocular which I don't have.  

I usually set up telescope/UVIR/diagonal/power mate/etalon/eyepiece.  

So the eyepiece is much further out than it would be for night viewing, on the other hand the power mate is telecentric so I don't think the magnification is enhanced due to the extra distance.  

#14 BinTian

BinTian

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

Mine daysytar quark has the same problem

Attached Thumbnails

• sml_gallery_176482_8710_161639.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, observing report, equipment, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics