•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LXD55 8" newt focuser change or-

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

I've read a lot and have done a bunch of searching and reading about the focuser on this scope. 

I'm getting into AS and working on the planets right now. 

I can see how non-precision the stock-o one is, and how much shaking there is while trying to focus, just because I'm touching the scope. 

I'd like to change it out to something like this.... Pretty nice and decently priced. But that won't solve the "touching" problem. 

https://agenaastro.c...dual-speed.html

I've seen that listed on a few threads, although I don't know and can't seem to find the difference between the 1A and 1B model? 

OR

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

But only single speed. Not sure how much that matters right now. 

My other question is, I can deal with the kinda sorta crappy focuser IF I can retro on an electric focuser which of course would allow me to turn the knob slowly and not touch the scope. 

For half the price and accomplishes what I'm looking for. 

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-1

It has mixed reviews however they're not all terrible. 

I've looked at those moonlite focusers and boy are those nice as well as the price. 

What are your thoughts? (Hope I'm in the right forum)

Ryan 

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:27 PM

Moonlight!!!! And Ron will get you up and running with all the right stuff. That's all I use on my scopes when I need a focuser change.

#3 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:05 AM

Moonlight!!!! And Ron will get you up and running with all the right stuff. That's all I use on my scopes when I need a focuser change.

Ha. Yeah I'm sure. They're beautiful pieces of equipment. 
I only have a few hundred into my whole setup/kit as I got it from a friend of a friend, so I'm trying to keep it low-er budget as I'd like to get a William Optics 61mm doublet one day for DSO stuff.  
And I need a better mount first if I'm going to spend that kinda money. 

I looked closer last night at my focuser, it doesn't appear as though the knob is removable to attach a motor drive to it, is that accurate? 

Without some fancy fab work, or simply cutting off one of the knobs, it looks like I cannot attach a motor drive to the focuser shaft. 

The cost of the Moonlite and motor controller is over 3x what I paid for the whole scope assembly! hahaha

Just the base Moonlite and the mounting adapters is about 250, (still more than I paid for my scope) but since I do AP, add another 125 for dual rate and shaft lock....so 375. Still not astronomical (pun certainly intended)
I know I'll still have to interact with the scope to focus, but will that dual rate allow me a softer touch? 

Also, is there some budget motor kits for less than $440?!?! confused1.gif

Edited by Ryan1776, 11 September 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#4 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

I have an Orion electric focuser (Accufocuser?) on mine.  It works really well (at least for me), even with the stock focuser and wasn't a big deal to install.

#5 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:25 PM

I have an Orion electric focuser (Accufocuser?) on mine.  It works really well (at least for me), even with the stock focuser and wasn't a big deal to install.

This guy??

https://www.telescop...6BoCKBsQAvD_BwE

Any chance you can post a photo of how you set it up?

Thank you!

Ryan  

#6 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Yes, that's it-- I'll see if I can find a way to get a photo posted.

#7 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

If I did it right-- pictures are added now.  Ignore the dust, but I haven't used this setup in a while.

Tom

Accufocus_01.JPG

Accufocus_02.JPG

• Skywatchr likes this

#8 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:03 PM

If I did it right-- pictures are added now.  Ignore the dust, but I haven't used this setup in a while.

Tom

attachicon.gif Accufocus_01.JPG

attachicon.gif Accufocus_02.JPG

Oh man! That is awesome! 

How did you remove the thumb wheel?

Thank you very much for uploading this. Definitely going to get one. 

Edited by Ryan1776, 15 September 2019 - 04:07 PM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#9 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:32 PM

Tom

attachicon.gif Accufocus_01.JPG

attachicon.gif Accufocus_02.JPG

Tom, any chance you remember how you removed the thumb wheel? I don't see any set screws on mine and I don't want to pry too hard if that's not how it's removed. 

• Skywatchr likes this

#10 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

Tom, any chance you remember how you removed the thumb wheel? I don't see any set screws on mine and I don't want to pry too hard if that's not how it's removed. 

I believe there is a screw under the aluminum trim on the knob that is glued on.

#11 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:42 PM

I believe there is a screw under the aluminum trim on the knob that is glued on.

Go it. So peel off the rubber thumb grip and should be a set screw under that. waytogo.gif

• Skywatchr likes this

#12 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:25 PM

Go it. So peel off the rubber thumb grip and should be a set screw under that. waytogo.gif

One of those two. grin.gif

#13 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

Sorry for the delay responding, but as others have mentioned, I believe that the focuser wheel is held on by a screw under the trim.  Its been a long time since I did this so I don't remember the actual details, but I do recall that it wasn't difficult to do.

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics