•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I return my refractor? Poorly Coated Lens?

beginner equipment refractor optics
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mississippi

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

Good day or night to the readers,

I recieved my William Optics RedCat 51 in the mail. Due to weather and poor seeing, I have not evaluated it's performance or collimation. Just examining it visually. 

I noticed the blemishes seen in the photos below. I attempted to clean them by slowly wiping with a microfiber cloth. Very slowly; however, I think the blemishes are inside the OTA. Is this common or should I return the scope? 

Best, 

Focused

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

I would get a warranty replacement.

#3 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:28 PM

Sounds good. I purchased through HighPoint Scientific. I'll send it to them. Their defective product return policy states, "We encourage you to call us first because we have the leverage to expedite the process for you."

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:41 PM

Get back to us with an update.

• nicoledoula likes this

#5 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

Wilco.

#6 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

HighPoint has excellent customer service in my experience.

#7 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

Oh, I have no doubt in there customer service. It's not their fault that the lens is marred internally. I don't blame William Optics as a whole. The QA inspector signed off on the scope, but I guess she looked through the lens rather than looking at the surface of the lens. Fatigue can be apart of this. Examining (several hundred?) of scopes per day might cause that.

One thing that I wish. Pizza places often have a window to view the baker creating the pizza. I wish companies would have live streams of their QA/QC process, or record serial number specific videos of the QA/QC process for each product. You would get a custom video of your scope being examined. It's definitely a way to build consumer confidence. I'm clearly not giving other ethical issues due diligence here. 

I

#8 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

Update: I'm requesting a full refund. William Optics is releasing the second generation of Cat scopes. The camera sensor tilt adjustment, flatter focuser, and focusing index are great improvements for only $29 (699 USD to 728 USD). 

Will I ever get to image something?!?! Ha. Andromeda is going to be in the sky for long periods of time in October. That could be my first target excluding a star test. 

Edited by FocusedNaim, 10 September 2019 - 07:49 PM.

• 3 i Guy and Cali like this

#9 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

Great news..!

• FocusedNaim likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, equipment, refractor, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics