•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Removing paint & dent from LX200 OTA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

I got a 10" LX200 OTA today for a very good price, however it is dented where the forks attached to the scope and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the paint. Also, I need suggestions for a good repainting strategy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

I got a 10" LX200 OTA today for a very good price, however it is dented where the forks attached to the scope and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the paint. Also, I need suggestions for a good repainting strategy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm refurbishing a 16" LX200 ETX which arrived somewhat distressed, with lots of paint falling off from the dreaded aluminium worm. Less voracious than the Rust worm, but it leaves its little piles of crud behind just the same.

I can tell you, taking the tube apart is a real bugger, and I found the application of fire was needed, not a lot, but fire and PB blaster.....I have it in pieces now though. I am stripping the paint with a slow acting and benign stripper, then powder coat the outside, reassemble and apply Black 3.0 to the inside to finish. I carefully marked all the necessary holes for realignment too....

The whole mount needs work. Mine's in a real mess.

Edited by steveastrouk, 10 September 2019 - 08:25 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#3 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

What's the denting look like ?

#4 miniqtone

miniqtone

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:54 PM

Check out this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...build-underway/

In that thread I will show you the basics regarding stripping the tube, all the way to applying a Candy finish that is truly show-car/custom hot rod quality (i.e., leagues better than that on my Lexus LS, etc etc).

However you may elect to simply spray some rattle-can appliance epoxy, which works for a simple coating. That works "well enough for rock and roll" but like any finish it has to be done correctly...and the stuff takes two weeks to dry. Or, you could hire a local shop to powder coat the OTA for a simple 2-D-esque modern factory auto finish. Pay them to wet sand it to 1500G prior to buffing and it will be about the same quality as my Lexus LS, i.e. not bad but not outstanding.

Edited by miniqtone, 10 September 2019 - 10:07 PM.

#5 miniqtone

miniqtone

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

I'm refurbishing a 16" LX200 ETX which arrived somewhat distressed, with lots of paint falling off from the dreaded aluminium worm. Less voracious than the Rust worm, but it leaves its little piles of crud behind just the same.

I can tell you, taking the tube apart is a real bugger, and I found the application of fire was needed, not a lot, but fire and PB blaster.....I have it in pieces now though. I am stripping the paint with a slow acting and benign stripper, then powder coat the outside, reassemble and apply Black 3.0 to the inside to finish. I carefully marked all the necessary holes for realignment too....

The whole mount needs work. Mine's in a real mess.

Do you have a source for Black 3.0? Ive been told it is backordered thru November. Any info appreciated, many thanks in advance sir!

- Terry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics