•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Organizing the Chaos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rugby

rugby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

Years ago I  passed the 300 mark observing Struve pairs. I organized them by constellation in a series of binders. All descriptions and drawings were hand rendered.

Now I have far too many pieces of paper with hastily written observations to add to the collection. Its time to use some kind of database to organize everything. I am constantly re observing pairs seen decades ago.

Can anyone describe how they keep records of observations. I am particularly interested in what program you are using and the kinds of information described.

I can produce a database if I keep it simple. Is there anything I can download to make the job easier.

• Astrolog likes this

#2 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:40 PM

My quick try:

1) Geography Questions:

Location of Observation (where you were)

Observation date(s). Maybe a field for time? I wouldn't but....

How good was the sky? Bortle / whatever description you wish

2) Gear Questions

Instrument Used

Magnification (Maybe two fields, one mag required to split, the other mag w/ best view?

3) Object ID

Name(s) or Name 1 / 2  or "Common" name or whatever

# Stars in system

# Stars observed

- Edit: Constellation

4) Notes: Whatever you wish

And /or sketch

Good Luck!

Edited by jaraxx, 10 September 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#3 nightofnit

nightofnit

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:20 PM

This is something that I have struggled a little bit with over the years. I have thousands of observations of double stars which I keep in a simple spreadsheet, one line per observation. Each line is generally a visual impression and an estimate of separation and PA. But, now what? When I view each binary again, sometimes years later, the description is pretty much the same, which is nice, but I'm not sure what the value of this database really is. I'd be interested in what others do with their double star observation data.

• rugby likes this

#4 Pawan

Pawan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

I use SkyTools as a database and enter comments. It keeps track of the dates, comments, etc. It makes it very easy to find out what I have not observed so far.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics