•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO EAF installed on a Moonlite- pics inside

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

For anyone wondering if the EAF bracket fits.....it does not. The bracket lines up  with the set screw for the focus tension but you can't use those to lock the bracket in place or the shaft would have too much pressure.

I drilled two holes in the body of my Moonlite....took about 30-40 min. I almost made a bracket that would work but decided to just drill into the focuser body. This was the 2.5 inch CFL focuser.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8377.jpg
  • IMG_8378.jpg

• l_stoian79, Lostone and OldManSky like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

Good to know. My EAF arrives tomorrow. Thanks for posting. I am guessing that those drilled holes needed to be threaded??

#3 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

Good to know. My EAF arrives tomorrow. Thanks for posting. I am guessing that those drilled holes needed to be threaded??

Yes....I went with M5 bolts and had to drill out the focuser bracket just a little so they would pass through the slots of the bracket.

One thing I noticed is the shaft of the Moonlite doesn't have a flat side for the set screw to clamp. So far it's worked perfectly and hasn't slipped after two night and a full load of 8 filter wheel and ASI 1600.  If it does slip I'll remove the EAF and grind a small flat for the set screw to clamp on the Moonlite shaft.

• l_stoian79 likes this

#4 highkamp

highkamp

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

I just ordered the exact Moonlite to put my EAF on too but read somewhere that the moonlite shaft is 3mm and the smallest flexible coupler with the EAF is 4 mm. Did you experiance any issues with shaft size?

#5 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:20 AM

I just ordered the exact Moonlite to put my EAF on too but read somewhere that the moonlite shaft is 3mm and the smallest flexible coupler with the EAF is 4 mm. Did you experiance any issues with shaft size?

I did not....one of the couplers will work just fine.

#6 Lostone

Lostone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ.

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:36 PM

For anyone wondering if the EAF bracket fits.....it does not. The bracket lines up  with the set screw for the focus tension but you can't use those to lock the bracket in place or the shaft would have too much pressure.

I drilled two holes in the body of my Moonlite....took about 30-40 min. I almost made a bracket that would work but decided to just drill into the focuser body. This was the 2.5 inch CFL focuser.

That's some good information,  Have you by chance let Ron with Moonlite know about this,  maybe it's something he can incorporate into future production lines.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics