•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO EAF installed on a Moonlite- pics inside

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

For anyone wondering if the EAF bracket fits.....it does not. The bracket lines up  with the set screw for the focus tension but you can't use those to lock the bracket in place or the shaft would have too much pressure.

I drilled two holes in the body of my Moonlite....took about 30-40 min. I almost made a bracket that would work but decided to just drill into the focuser body. This was the 2.5 inch CFL focuser.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8377.jpg
  • IMG_8378.jpg

• 1E1HFPPE, l_stoian79, Lostone and 1 other like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

Good to know. My EAF arrives tomorrow. Thanks for posting. I am guessing that those drilled holes needed to be threaded??

#3 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

Good to know. My EAF arrives tomorrow. Thanks for posting. I am guessing that those drilled holes needed to be threaded??

Yes....I went with M5 bolts and had to drill out the focuser bracket just a little so they would pass through the slots of the bracket.

One thing I noticed is the shaft of the Moonlite doesn't have a flat side for the set screw to clamp. So far it's worked perfectly and hasn't slipped after two night and a full load of 8 filter wheel and ASI 1600.  If it does slip I'll remove the EAF and grind a small flat for the set screw to clamp on the Moonlite shaft.

• 1E1HFPPE and l_stoian79 like this

#4 highkamp

highkamp

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

I just ordered the exact Moonlite to put my EAF on too but read somewhere that the moonlite shaft is 3mm and the smallest flexible coupler with the EAF is 4 mm. Did you experiance any issues with shaft size?

#5 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:20 AM

I just ordered the exact Moonlite to put my EAF on too but read somewhere that the moonlite shaft is 3mm and the smallest flexible coupler with the EAF is 4 mm. Did you experiance any issues with shaft size?

I did not....one of the couplers will work just fine.

#6 Lostone

Lostone

Vostok 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ.

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:36 PM

For anyone wondering if the EAF bracket fits.....it does not. The bracket lines up  with the set screw for the focus tension but you can't use those to lock the bracket in place or the shaft would have too much pressure.

I drilled two holes in the body of my Moonlite....took about 30-40 min. I almost made a bracket that would work but decided to just drill into the focuser body. This was the 2.5 inch CFL focuser.

That's some good information,  Have you by chance let Ron with Moonlite know about this,  maybe it's something he can incorporate into future production lines.

#7 MyScope

MyScope

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:39 PM

This might be helpful to someone with a Moonlite focuser and the EAF.

I have this combination on my AR152 and found a DIY solution in order to avoid drilling holes in the focuser.

Basically, I fabricated a bracket from the corner of an PVC electrical box (Home Depot).

BTW, by twisting the knurled knob CCW, the EAF is disengaged from the focuser in order to manually focus the scope.

Knob back CW to re-engage.

Here are some views that might assist anyone else with mounting the EAF on a Moonlite.

Attached Thumbnails

• Elect Box.jpg
  • EAF View BB.jpg

• 1E1HFPPE likes this

#8 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:56 PM

This might be helpful to someone with a Moonlite focuser and the EAF.

I have this combination on my AR152 and found a DIY solution in order to avoid drilling holes in the focuser.

Basically, I fabricated a bracket from the corner of an PVC electrical box (Home Depot).

BTW, by twisting the knurled knob CCW, the EAF is disengaged from the focuser in order to manually focus the scope.

Knob back CW to re-engage.

Here are some views that might assist anyone else with mounting the EAF on a Moonlite.

Thanks a good idea. If I did it again I would make a bracket instead of the one that comes with the EAF.

• 1E1HFPPE likes this

#9 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

Very cool. And it would be trivial to 3D print something like that.

#10 AstroTrekkie

AstroTrekkie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

MyScope, I see you fit the moonlite clutch coupler on the ZWO EAF. My Moonlite clutch wouldn’t fit, had to use the ZWO supplied coupler. Does anyone know the size of the 2 tension set screws underneath?

Edited by AstroTrekkie, 01 January 2021 - 11:24 PM.

#11 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:17 AM

I made these out of stainless steel. Testing this weekend and then I’m going to make 50 more.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7F5319E0-761E-44CC-87FF-03D21E0BA96E.jpeg
  • B9926613-121A-4A15-86A6-D1A5E11B4B7A.jpeg

Edited by chongo228, 05 February 2021 - 07:18 AM.

• aspruil01 and nebulachadnezzer like this

#12 AstroTrekkie

AstroTrekkie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:52 AM

I made these out of stainless steel. Testing this weekend and then I’m going to make 50 more.

Put me on the list. I’ll buy 1.
Brian Meyerberg
  • aspruil01 likes this

#13 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:21 AM

That looks great but I think it would also work pretty well if 3D printed with one of the tougher materials.

#14 ImRafa

ImRafa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:49 PM

Hi all! First time poster and definitely a newbie...I've been in conversation with Chongo228 about mounting the Moonlite CR2 focuser for newtonians. It looks like the brackets listed above will not work for a CR2 + Newt (open ?).

However,  I mounted mine by using the holes for the tension screws on the focuser.  I used  shorter grub screws (about 2mm shorter than the originals, can't go much smaller because the grub screw would fall inside the focuser space between the screw hole and the focuser tension bar !), then I drilled-out the long center support slot of the EAF's bracket to 1/4 inch wide, flipped it over to get the flat side of the bracket against the focuser body and this actually gave me the proper distance between the EAF's axis and the focuser's axis. Finally, I used two 1/4 inch allen head screws and two bolts I had handy (as spacers) to mount the EAF.

This way I don't have the support screws butting up against the tension set screws (grubs) causing too much pressure against the CR2's focuser's tension bar. Hope this made sense.  What do you think? Clear Skies!

#15 nebulachadnezzer

nebulachadnezzer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:49 PM

Please let me know if you make these for sale! The idea of drilling into brand new $450 focuser has kept me from pulling the trigger.

#16 Simrisks

Simrisks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:53 AM

I'm also interested if this worked and would be happy to take one off your hands as my ZS66 keeps slipping Nd I think I'm going to take the plunge on a new focuser (thank or a new scooe- debating which still

#17 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:44 AM

I'm also interested if this worked and would be happy to take one off your hands as my ZS66 keeps slipping Nd I think I'm going to take the plunge on a new focuser (thank or a new scooe- debating which still

I made some extra ones and have them for sale. I have an ad up in the classifieds section.

#18 NotThatChuck

NotThatChuck

Lift Off

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:46 PM

I made some extra ones and have them for sale. I have an ad up in the classifieds section.

I can't tell which moonlight focuser your bracket fits. It looks like an ingenious solution. Would it fit the CF 2"? And if not, how difficult do you think it would be to make one that would?  Seems like you could contact Ron and go into business together...

#19 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:17 PM

I can't tell which moonlight focuser your bracket fits. It looks like an ingenious solution. Would it fit the CF 2"? And if not, how difficult do you think it would be to make one that would?  Seems like you could contact Ron and go into business together...

The ad in classifieds says which models it will fit.

#20 Oyaji

Oyaji

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 11 March 2021 - 04:16 AM

Very interesting, indeed.  I'm curious as to how the performance of the EAF/Moonlite combo compares with the Moonlite stepper motor solution.

The reason I ask is that I'm about to order a Moonlite focuser for my Tak Mewlon.  I do have a Moonlite V2 controller in my kit, and a Moonlite stepper motor is about the same price as an EAF.  

If the Moonlite focuser works better with the Moonlite motor, then I can go that route.  If the EAF works just as well with the Moonlite focuser, then it might make sense to get the EAF because there is one less thing to go wrong when you set up, namely, the V2 controller with its clunky serial port connectors.  

I do note that Moonlite claims .00016" resolution for its stepper; I haven't seen ZWO's number, if it has one.  

Thoughts?  

Edited by Oyaji, 11 March 2021 - 04:22 AM.

#21 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:19 AM

Very interesting, indeed.  I'm curious as to how the performance of the EAF/Moonlite combo compares with the Moonlite stepper motor solution.

The reason I ask is that I'm about to order a Moonlite focuser for my Tak Mewlon.  I do have a Moonlite V2 controller in my kit, and a Moonlite stepper motor is about the same price as an EAF.  

If the Moonlite focuser works better with the Moonlite motor, then I can go that route.  If the EAF works just as well with the Moonlite focuser, then it might make sense to get the EAF because there is one less thing to go wrong when you set up, namely, the V2 controller with its clunky serial port connectors.  

I do note that Moonlite claims .00016" resolution for its stepper; I haven't seen ZWO's number, if it has one.  

Thoughts?  

I had both on the same scope with the same focuser. Backlash with the moonlite motor was 3-5 steps less than the EAF. This is such a small amount it doesn’t matter and is compensated for in software.  I had an eaf on another scope and it worked well so I tried it on my Moonlite. The EAF doesn’t need the controller box which is why I ultimately sold the moonlite focuser motor. Outside of that they performed the same.

Your focusing software and settings is what  really matters. Don’t get too caught up in resolution, as long as the motor is consistent and repeatable the software will get focus. In the end the moonlite or eaf will park the draw tube at the same place if you’re controlling it correctly.

Edited by chongo228, 11 March 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#22 Oyaji

Oyaji

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:29 AM

Thanks, Chongo.  I'm sorely tempted.  

I went looking just now for an EAF.  They are out of stock right at all North American stores, although they are available from several European stores for an extra hundred bucks or so over NA prices.  

But I have a trip to New Mexico scheduled for the April new moon, and gotta have my Moonlite installed, tested and ready to go by the first week of April.   

Decisions, decisions!

#23 Broglock

Broglock

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:05 PM

Any of these left, chongo228?

I can not locate them in classifieds.

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics