•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Broken Aux port cable

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sirjab

sirjab

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Washignton

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

Hello all it has been along time since I have been Here I suffered a ascending aortic dissection in Sept 2016 and have been recovering since. I took my scope out tonight for the first time and was in the process of doing an alignment I have the Celestron 6SE with the star sense camera and the dual aux port plugged into the base. As it was searching I heard a snap and the scope stopped. I snagged the aux module and snapped the connector off. I am not sure what a good way to attach the module to avoid it when the new one shows up. I have cord wrap on in the hand unit. Any suggestions 
thank you

Edited by sirjab, 11 September 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your medical issue but glad you are around to tell us about it.

What part of the scope caught on the Aux port splitter?  When you say it snapped off the connector, do you mean the tiny thumb tab on the extender cable which locks the connection into the port/jack on the mount?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#3 sirjab

sirjab

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:57 PM

Thank you

The connector that plugs into the port on the base. The wires pulled out of the connector. I think it got caught on the wedge not sure. I ordered a new aux jack from high point 

Edited by sirjab, 11 September 2019 - 12:07 AM.

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:25 AM

I see.  I Velcro the splitter part onto the fork arm.  You might also get some self-adhesive hooks from the dollar store and place them in strategic locations to keep the cable(s) close to the the mount.  Another good option is Velcro straps:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B06WVCGC37/

The idea is to just keep all the cables close to the moving part of the mount to reduce the possibility something will hook them.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

Oh, and it is easy for a "computer gal/guy" to put a new connector onto the end of the cable and you will then have a spare.  It is terribly important though that they get the pin connections correct ("straight-through") otherwise you can damage the electronics in the hand control or camera.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 11 September 2019 - 12:33 AM.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:14 AM

For someone with the crimping tool and a little experience it's an easy fix. Cut the end of the cable off (so it's a nice straight end), use a RJ11 modular connector and an inexpensive crimping tool ... and as Mike said make sure about the pin orientation and you'll be good to go.

#7 sirjab

sirjab

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

Thank you all I will give the Velcro a try. 

#8 sirjab

sirjab

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

For someone with the crimping tool and a little experience it's an easy fix. Cut the end of the cable off (so it's a nice straight end), use a RJ11 modular connector and an inexpensive crimping tool ... and as Mike said make sure about the pin orientation and you'll be good to go.

Thanks the jack is actually an rj12 6 leads not 4 but the fact is as I did some research I found that to buy the crimping tool and crimps would cost as much as a new aux jack from celestron so that is what I did I ordeded a new one just have to make sure it is secure to the arm so does not happen again

anyway thank you for the reply

#9 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

Thanks the jack is actually an rj12 6 leads not 4 but the fact is as I did some research I found that to buy the crimping tool and crimps would cost as much as a new aux jack from celestron so that is what I did I ordeded a new one just have to make sure it is secure to the arm so does not happen again

anyway thank you for the reply

Yep - RJ-12 or 6p6c.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

Of course the spec is RJ12 6p6c ... but these days when you are buying a bag of connectors they all seem to be labeled  RJ11s. They all appear to have all 6 contacts in place. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics