•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starbase orthos?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:11 AM

I noticed these eyepieces on the Takahashi America site.

https://www.takahash...or-6-mm-ep.html

Anybody knows anything about them? Any reports on how they perform?

• agmoonsolns likes this

#2 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:15 AM

I'm curious about these as well but I already have a pile of orthos and the 2 Kellners (20, 25mm) that are also offered caught my attention so I ordered these instead. I've read all the good, bad and ugly about this design which just piqued my interest. I've had precious little decent weather, but one brief session with an FC-76D (ƒ7.5) was encouraging. They are on the docket for further visual evaluation. Build quality is decent with nicely blackened and baffled interior surfaces... and the price is more than reasonable. They are marked fully coated so probably not multi-coated a la the Brandons.

• payner and RadioAstronomer like this

#3 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

I haven't heard of any reviews yet, but someone in another thread noted they are "fully coated" versus what we'd normally expect as "fully multi-coated". That could be part of the reason for the low price.

I imagine it will be a case of you get what you pay for - however, I am shocked that Takahashi of all companies would offer such a low-price eyepiece. But after digging into it further, I see they also offer Starbase Kellner eyepieces:

https://www.takahash...e-25-mm-ep.html

I have to imagine both lines would perform reasonably well in slow scopes (high focal ratios) such as my f/10 SCT.  I wouldn't think that Tak would put their name on something that was completely junk (would they?!?!).

I would be tempted to try the Orthos, but I have my suspicions that they wouldn't be as good as the Tele Vue Plössls that I have now.

#4 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

There's  also a Tak Starbase 80mm achro.  David

• bbqediguana likes this

#5 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

Note that nowhere on the eyepiece nor on the site it says that these are Takahashi eyepieces. Not sure what the relationship between Starbase and Takahashi is, but these are certainly not Tak eyepieces.

They just happen to be sold on the Takahashi America site.

• payner, Heywood and bbqediguana like this

#6 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

Note that nowhere on the eyepiece nor on the site it says that these are Takahashi eyepieces. Not sure what the relationship between Starbase and Takahashi is, but these are certainly not Tak eyepieces.

They just happen to be sold on the Takahashi America site.

Ah! Now that makes a lot more sense! smile.gif

Good eye!

• RadioAstronomer likes this

#7 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:55 PM

Here's a blurb from High Point's website about the Starbase 80 Achromat:

The Starbase 80 is designed and constructed under contract with Takahashi by an optics company in Japan and it is sold there through Takahashi's company-owned telescope store, Starbase. It is Takahashi's goal to introduce beginning astronomers to Japanese quality optics, with the hope that one day they may become Takahashi customers. Takahashi prides itself on being 100% Japanese made, and is continuing that tradition with the Starbase 80.

I would imagine this applies to the eyepieces as well.

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:55 PM

My understanding is the Starbase 80 isn't really a Tak either but some vendors advertise it as that.  Think I'll pass .  I've got a excellent as to optics and build from Japan 9mm Astro Hutech that cost twice what the Starbase 9 goes for .  David

#9 K.K

K.K

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

This is plossl made by Japanese Daiichi Optics. fully coated.
Starbase is Takahashi-owned chain, but it also sells products made by other manufacturers.
I have OR-14mm pair for binoviewer. It is very clear and sharp to observe the planet in on-axis, but the off-axis is not.

• Astrojensen and Paul Morow like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics