•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has any one tried Farpoint astro new revised OIII

accessories dso equipment
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 antariksha

antariksha

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: India

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:32 AM

I am planning to buy newly upgraded OIII filter. Has anyone tried it? I have Lumicon 1.25" UHC and Hbeta for my 32mm plossl. I now am planning to buy OIII for my 21mm Ethos 2" eyepiece.

Would welcome any related suggestions. Thanks

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:31 AM

The Lumicon Gen 3 O-III is very good. I have not tried the Farpoint. Once I got the Lumicon I was through chasing an O-III.

• airbleeder likes this

#3 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

They appear to be close to the same.   I have the Lumicon UHC and have been very pleased with it.   It does not pass H-alpha. 

https://www.cloudyni...nalysis-review/

-Dave 

#4 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:17 AM

I did not find any pass band data on the "Classic" Lumincon O III vs the New Gen 3  O III.  I would suspect there is only minor differences in the pass bandwidth.  There is really not that much to play with. 

-Dave 

#5 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

Morning, if you go to Searchlight.com   https://searchlight....9d-153d7e7c0eb8

You can toggle the different filters on & off the graph or overlay them for comparison,

LunaFox just completed a new batch of filter scans, Gen 3 Lumicons and UHC's are about as good as it gets, close runner ups can be overlaid click on the box next to the filter to toggle the results

I think my next filter is going to be the Lumicon UHC. although the DGM VHT is very close,

And I think I would suggest the 2" Lumicon UHC instead of the O-III. 

Another option is the DGM's NPB, the difference is the DGM lets a bit of red pass where the Lumicons don't.

Edited by Mike W., 11 September 2019 - 07:36 AM.

• antariksha and howardcano like this

#6 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

How can one tell if you are getting the latest versions of the Lumicon UHC and O III filters?

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

In the tests in the field and lab, there appear to be 3 lines of filters vying for top honors,

and you cannot lose with any of them:

Astronomik UHC and O-III (2016 and later)

TeleVue Bandmate II Nebustar and O-III (2018 and later)

Lumicon UHC and Gen.3 O-III (the 2" O-III is currently O/S everywhere and Lumicon is waiting for delivery--no date yet). (2018 and later)

Tests of individual filters shows the filter-to-filter variation is small.

Edited by Starman1, 11 September 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

How can one tell if you are getting the latest versions of the Lumicon UHC and O III filters?

1) They are full price

2) The O-III is billed as "Gen.3"

3) The production is new since 2018

If you buy used, you would have to trust the seller, of course.

Edited by Starman1, 11 September 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#9 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

1) They are full price

2) The O-III is billed as "Gen.3"

3) The production is new since 2018

If you buy used, you would have to trust the seller, of course.

Thanks Don

#10 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

The new ones have Gen 3 written on the filter cell. I not only saw Gen 3 OIIIs but I believe I saw Gen 3 UHCs on, I think it was Agena's website. It took a while for them to put the new UHCs in Gen 3 filter cells. Also, as far as I know, the Farpoint and the Lumicon Gen 3 filters are the same.

#11 antariksha

antariksha

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: India

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

Thanks all.

Mike, special thanks .. I liked the site (search light spectra...)

And Don, many thanks to clarify various points which gave better insight

#12 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:50 AM

Antariksha, I just submitted 29 of my filter collection for inspection to the site, I wanted to see the graphs of pass-thru for all of my planetary filters, the contrast boosters, just wanted to see what they were doing ti the light.

I like to see how things work, my Lumicon O-III wasn't a gen 3 but it came so close I don't need a Gen 3, 3% or even 5% more or less your eye will never detect a difference,  sometimes we get lost in the numbers, 

The Lunarfox and I discussed a bit about filters, until you try one you won't know for sure if it's going to be the best, as far as the top end filters go, every single eye out there is different from any other, your brain and what it can detect from the light coming in, filters in general, for me anyway, are just fun to experiment with.

I think after comparing the Lumicon's to the DGM's, DGM's let a bit more of the spectrum thru, they're like a halfway between the Gen 3 O-III and the Gen 3 UHC, when viewing Nebula in particular the slightly wider band wave has a slightly brighter view for me.

If I were to be buying a DSO filter now for $200, from what I've learned for visual, it would be a Lumicon Gen. 3 UHC .just seems to be a more versatile tool, the Lumicon DeepSky might be another option. 

One thing LunarFox is wanting for the site are more Thousand Oak's filters so if any of you out there have them and want a pass-thru graph of that filter, it's easy to send it to him, takes about a little over a week from your mailbox and back, 

Please help, it's only a few bucks both directions, a padded envelope is all that's needed to USPS them, filters are very tough little things, even a small box and wrapped in bubble wrap.

I can pm the contact info, 

Edited by Mike W., 13 September 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• jeffmac likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, dso, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics