•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2 questions about sun image processing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lukster

Lukster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:49 AM

Hello Astrofriends,

I do sun imaging for quite a while now, but I like to go a step further now. You can find some of my shots on my astrobin page:

https://www.astrobin.com/users/Luk/

Here is my usual setup:

- TS-optics APO Refractor 70mm f/6
- Daystar QUARK Chromosphere Filter
- ASI ZWO 174mm CMOS camera

software:

sharpcap 3.1
Autostakkert 3
Registax 6
Adobe Photoshop

first question is simple but im not sure how to do it:

question # 1

after staking my monochrome avi file in autostakkert and sharpening in registax, I usually use photoshop for final sharpening and RGB coloring.

the result is like the pictures on my astrobin page. Im very happy with them.

but how can I get a prominence picture where the sundisc is black?  I use the QUARK daystar chromosphere. I also know how to setup the sharpcap software to make the prominences visible (increase gain value)...but i dont know how to process / coloring it in photoshop to get a black sundisc. is ist really just painted black with photoshops brush tool?? goal is to get a picture like this one here:

5k6j5vm9.jpg

any ideas?

question #2:

how can I create an RGB animated videosequence of the suns prominence? I understand the basics:
capturing a long video sequence, to get a huge amount of frames. but how can I get a colorized animation at the end?

coloring each frame and put them together again to a movie sequence? This would take ages. Is there a good software for processing avi files?
goal would be to get a sequence like in this youtube video by "Chuck`s Astrophotography":
https://www.youtube....h?v=nkDbfR1MX_k

clear skies, thanks for your help and best regards from Switzerland

Luk

#2 BabyPepper

BabyPepper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

to answer question two:  You can use photoshop batch processing feature to apply a color process to all the individual frames and it will automatically apply it to your selected folder of pre sharpened images. (or unprocessed raw)

You can also use ImPPG to do a batch sharpening of all the stacked frames and not even use photoshop to unsharp them, but imppg will not do color at all. The advantage of imppg is that it will also align all your limb images to make the animation in a very acceptable amount of time.

not sure where the menu is in photoshop anymore as it has been 6 years since i last used it, but i know its there and i have done it less than 100 times.

apollo-lasky-magicalmagiccalmagical_1505

• BeltofOrion likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

Heya,

The disc is post-processed to black, there's no way to expose it black while exposing the prominences. I just make a large black circle in Photoshop and resize it to the same angular size as the disc at it's imaging scale, you can do it by eye actually, and then just super-impose it over the disc. I then gently blur it so it's not a hard edge.

To animate, you need to get a video every few minutes. Not one long video. Do this for about 30~45 minutes if you can. Each small video will be stacked and result in one lucky imaging frame. Do this for several videos over the course of 30~45 minutes, how many videos you do over time is up to you (every 2 minutes or 3 minutes is fine at smaller scale). Then you will have 15~20+ frames of stacked single images. These are your animation frames. You then can run them through IMPPG to align them all and process them as you wish. Color them like you normally would in post identically (batch processing helps here). Then animate them (without stabilization) with PIPP to whatever container you want.

Lovely proms by the way!

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 11 September 2019 - 11:11 AM.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#4 freddie

freddie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

On q2 I think you have a misunderstanding of how to make the sequence. Rather than capture one massively long video, you capture a series of shorter vids, say 30 seconds, leave a short gap, maybe 60 secs, then capture another vid. Each vid is processed to produce a final still image and then the still images are processed in PS or Imppg (or similar) to make an animation.

#5 MAURITS

MAURITS

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

Nice images on astrobin Luk.

#6 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

Regarding question 2:

I just yesterday added the ability to create animated gifs to Solar Live View. As you can see in the screen shot, you define a region of interest and it does the rest. In the small popup window, you can see the animation building with a frame slider so you can go back and forth. Once you have enough frames, you just save it. As with other things in the program, the disk black out, colorization, sharpening and prom enhancements all happen automatically.

Of course, the big difference here is that the animation is built with single raw frames. In the discussion above, each frame in those animations is the result of a movie file that is stacked and sharpened and otherwise processed using multiple tools. The results that way will be much nicer but that sure is a lot of work...

You will also notice that the program can now optionally overlay an earth-sized disk to give some perspective.

RickV - this prom should look familiar as that is your data!

Attached Thumbnails

• AnimationInProgress_small.png

• hopskipson and RickV like this

#7 bart1805

bart1805

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

On q2 I think you have a misunderstanding of how to make the sequence. Rather than capture one massively long video, you capture a series of shorter vids, say 30 seconds, leave a short gap, maybe 60 secs, then capture another vid. Each vid is processed to produce a final still image and then the still images are processed in PS or Imppg (or similar) to make an animation.

It is possible and sometimes more easy to use a long video. Autostakkert can cut it in pieces. You can choose how big your pieces should be. Try the "expand" function. 

• t_image likes this

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

It is possible and sometimes more easy to use a long video. Autostakkert can cut it in pieces. You can choose how big your pieces should be. Try the "expand" function. 

That would be one huge file for say 30 minutes of real time.

#9 Lukster

Lukster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:51 AM

Regarding question 2:

I just yesterday added the ability to create animated gifs to Solar Live View. As you can see in the screen shot, you define a region of interest and it does the rest. In the small popup window, you can see the animation building with a frame slider so you can go back and forth. Once you have enough frames, you just save it. As with other things in the program, the disk black out, colorization, sharpening and prom enhancements all happen automatically.

Of course, the big difference here is that the animation is built with single raw frames. In the discussion above, each frame in those animations is the result of a movie file that is stacked and sharpened and otherwise processed using multiple tools. The results that way will be much nicer but that sure is a lot of work...

You will also notice that the program can now optionally overlay an earth-sized disk to give some perspective.

RickV - this prom should look familiar as that is your data!

that "solar live view" program looks awesome....! please can you tell more about this software :)

#10 Lukster

Lukster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for your answers. Will definately check the ImPPG software for batch processing.

#11 bart1805

bart1805

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:43 AM

That would be one huge file for say 30 minutes of real time.

True. My last file (30 minutes) was about 200GB. But if I had made 30 individual files of one minute it would have been the same size in total.

#12 freddie

freddie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:11 AM

But 30 individual files would cover a longer period of activity as each file would have a wait time of say 60 seconds between captures.

#13 44ye

44ye

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: MACKINAW TOWNSHIP CHEBOYGAN CO MI

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

The OP will find the 10th video down on this link helpful also the 3 part scaling Earth # 11 12 13 video also  the audio leaves a lot to wish for 

Don 

https://brierleyhill...-tutorials.html

#14 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:19 PM

that "solar live view" program looks awesome....! please can you tell more about this software smile.gif

I just realized that I never replied to you. Sorry about that. I started developing this app as a way to enhance my viewing experience. Sort of a bridge between pure visual and traditional solar photography which is always done later and requires alot of work. So Solar Live View (SLV) operates in real-time and uses individual frames that your capture program can provide. As the screenshot above shows, it can sharpen, colorize, enhance proms and create an animated gif, among other things. It has really come along quickly. I am just trying to get a little testing done with other users before turning it loose.   The next step will be to auto-stack frames to gradually produce an even better image.

#15 Lukster

Lukster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:16 AM

I just realized that I never replied to you. Sorry about that. I started developing this app as a way to enhance my viewing experience. Sort of a bridge between pure visual and traditional solar photography which is always done later and requires alot of work. So Solar Live View (SLV) operates in real-time and uses individual frames that your capture program can provide. As the screenshot above shows, it can sharpen, colorize, enhance proms and create an animated gif, among other things. It has really come along quickly. I am just trying to get a little testing done with other users before turning it loose.   The next step will be to auto-stack frames to gradually produce an even better image.

wow, that sounds great. cant wait to see it released. keep me posted please :) if you are looking for test users, just let me know.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics