•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron X-Cell EP's. How good?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthound

Lighthound

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upper Ohio Valley

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:17 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to get a couple EP's to fill in the gaps in my collection.

I have a few Celestron Omni's for general viewing at the house, several SVBONY's WA for my G&G's (quite good if I may say so),

and a couple MEADE 4000 series.

Don't want to go really expensive yet.

How are the X-Cells compared to the Omni's.

I was looking on the classifieds and don't see many X-cells for sale.

Are they that good that people are hanging on to them, or not many users.

What do owners of the X-Cell's think of them compared to the OMNI's.

Dave.

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

From what I have read the question may be how bad. Could be you don’t see many because people won’t buy them. The current models are different, and really just clones of a popular economy brand. But I would be leery about buying their older models with 20mm ER.

Scott

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

Dave:

Be sure to distinguish between the original X-Cels and X-Cel LXs.  The original X-Cel's were not good at all, at least the two 5mm's I had were horrible.  

But the X-Cel LX is an entirely different eyepiece and seem to be good eyepieces.

https://www.cloudyni...l-lx-eyepieces/

Jon

• LDW47 and howardcano like this

#4 CChristakis

CChristakis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

Do you mean the X-Cel LX?  If so they are nice eyepieces at a good price.    They are similar to Meade HD60, Paradigm Dual ED, Agena Starguider, etc..   The Paradigm's are priced the best.

I have three X-Cel LX's (7mm, 12mm and 18m).  I use them in both of my scopes.  They actually perform really well for the money.  Flat field and nice eye relief make them comfortable to use.  The twist up eye cup is a nice feature but some don't care for it.  The 12mm is my favorite.   I also own a 32mm Omni plossl which is a basic 32mm plossl.   Doesn't get as much use since I own a ES68 24mm.

For me the X-Cel LX were my first eyepieces I learned with.   Over the past several years I have been slowly upgrading my collection to eventually replace them but I will keep them around for outreach.

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

I had 3 of the LX’s plus a 2x XL barlow and they were all well built and performed well in my various scopes and the price is right ! As I moved towards 2” eps I sold them off but I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again !

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to get a couple EP's to fill in the gaps in my collection.

I have a few Celestron Omni's for general viewing at the house, several SVBONY's WA for my G&G's (quite good if I may say so),

and a couple MEADE 4000 series.

Don't want to go really expensive yet.

How are the X-Cells compared to the Omni's.

I was looking on the classifieds and don't see many X-cells for sale.

Are they that good that people are hanging on to them, or not many users.

What do owners of the X-Cell's think of them compared to the OMNI's.

Dave.

It's hard to compare them to the Omnis because the Omnis are just your standard, run-of-the-mill Plossls. The X-Cel LX line gives you usable eye relief at short focal lengths, and a wider AFOV across the whole line. They are most definitely a big ergonomics upgrade over the Omnis, especially at the shorter focal lengths. So the question is really whether or not you prefer a wider AFOV and more eye relief at short focal lengths. If you do, then the X-Cel LX will be a good upgrade. If you're happy with the Plossls or don't want a wider AFOV, then there won't be any advantage to getting the X-Cels.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 11 September 2019 - 08:21 AM.

• LDW47 likes this

#7 Lighthound

Lighthound

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upper Ohio Valley

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

Thanks all for your reply's.

Will probably acquire 1 or 2 in the ranges that I need.

Just wanted somewhat of an upgrade over the Omni's .I now have.

Dave

#8 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

The X-Cel LX are fairly good eyepieces, the "plain" X-Cel's are not so good.

In the UK the opinion was that the X-Cel LX and the BST (Paradigms) were more or less equal. Kind of 3 out of 5 people preferred the BST/Paradigm so close. Big difference here was cost. BST/Paradigm was originally £36, X-Cel LX were around £65-70. So no-one bought the X-Cel LX's.

Recent review by someone put the Meade HD 60's as a bit better then BST/Paradigm, but again here the BST/Paradigm is now £50, the Meade HD 60's are £99. So again no-one buys them.

You need to get the LX version as at times people have been known to say they are LX but on arrival no LX on them and the older version have been passed off to someone.

#9 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Suburbs of Reading PA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

When I got back into the hobby a couple years ago, I wanted to upgrade to some newer eyepieces.  I tried both the X-Cel LX and Starguiders, and I'd recommend the Starguiders over the X-Cel.  Of the four X-Cel's I have, two had paint flecks inside them.  They were known to have this problem, not sure if they ever got that fixed.  The Starguider (Paradigm) style I got from Agena were definitely nicer IMO.  Similar views, no issues with quality control, comfortable to use, and come in at a good price.  I also like the adjustable eye cup design more.  That being said, I wish I never bought any of those, since shortly thereafter ES had a big sale and I started trying those out.  Once I did, I ended up with both the 68 and 82 series and didn't look back through the others.  They are the perfect middle ground.  Not too shabby, not the best.  They'll serve me well for the rest of my life though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics