•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Callisto 2019-09-11

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

G'day all,

Seeing was much better tonight, and I found a pair of captures of Jupiter that derotated well:

002-003_derotated_5.54ppAd.jpg

Jupiter 2019-09-11 10:44 UTC

Skywatcher 180 Mak-Cass

Fujiyama 12.5mm ortho (shimmed)

Canon T3i (LiveView capture)

2×1024 frames

The bleeing of dark red into the EB near the eastern limb was clearly visible on the laptop screen during capture—I even used it as the target for my reticle crosshairs to keep Callisto in the scene.

Cheers,

BQ

• Sunspot, eros312, roelb and 6 others like this

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:52 AM

Thanks to all for the likes!

I took another crack at processing Callisto. The Lucy Richardson deconvolution on the full image caused some bad edge artifacting that I simply masked out in my first pass, but the result seemed too small and way too blue. I tried to do a moon-specific stack, but it was so dim in the individual frames that it wouldn't register in the stacker. So instead I just used the nominal stacks to compile a 4× Callisto stack with a Smart Sharpen in Photoshop. The results were better—at least the size and color now seem more accurate:

002-003_derotated_5.54ppAd2.jpg

Cheers,

BQ

• Lacaille, Foc and Jenz114 like this

#3 Jenz114

Jenz114

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Missouri, USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:51 AM

Great job, especially with the processing on that second attempt! I really like the way it turned out. The brightness of both objects seems to go together well, giving the overall image a very natural and smooth feel.

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

Great job, especially with the processing on that second attempt! I really like the way it turned out. The brightness of both objects seems to go together well, giving the overall image a very natural and smooth feel.

Thanks Anthony.

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics