•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are there any EAA eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Falcondriver

Falcondriver

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

I've been curious about this.  I'm aware of astro-video viewing and such, but I'm curious if there is an eyepiece out there that gives you the ability to electronically enhance (namely so that you can see DS objects in color) the image through the eyepiece?

Again, just curious.

Thanks!

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

There used to be the Collins i3. Pretty sweet. Unfortunately pretty expensive, like all NV. So it didn’t last. You could see all DSO in color. Green.

There are now startups trying to integrate cameras into telescopes to do more or less what you are talking about. Granted you cannot do visual observing with these telescopes, and it is yet to be determined which brand, if any, will successfully bring a product to market. And again, not cheap, although cheaper than the Collins.

The current solution is to deal with buying a camera, battery and figure out a way to display it, on laptop, phone, tablet, etc. And then deal with all the wires to connect everything. Keep in mind that to have an EAA eyepiece, you are now limited to a very small screen.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 11 September 2019 - 12:26 PM.

• OleCuss and Falcondriver like this

#3 Falcondriver

Falcondriver

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

There used to be the Collins i3. Pretty sweet. Unfortunately pretty expensive, like all NV. So it didn’t last. You could see all DSO in color. Green.

There are now startups trying to integrate cameras into telescopes to do more or less what you are talking about. Granted you cannot do visual observing with these telescopes, and it is yet to be determined which brand, if any, will successfully bring a product to market. And again, not cheap, although cheaper than the Collins.

The current solution is to deal with buying a camera, battery and figure out a way to display it, on laptop, phone, tablet, etc. And then deal with all the wires to connect everything. Keep in mind that to have an EAA eyepiece, you are now limited to a very small screen.

Scott

Thanks for the response, Scott.  You make a great point about the screen size.  Now that I've purchased a larger dob (18") I'm looking more into astro-video to get DSO's in color -- that's why the thought came about with an EAA eyepiece.  I've seen some ideas for them, I just didn't know if they were ever mass produced; probably not, for the reasons you cite.

- Steven

Edited by Falcondriver, 11 September 2019 - 01:12 PM.

#4 mashirts

mashirts

Messenger

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

I have read the eye's rods can detect 2 photons. So in real time you can't beat eyes for low cost, real time EAA...lol

#5 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

I've been curious about this.  I'm aware of astro-video viewing and such, but I'm curious if there is an eyepiece out there that gives you the ability to electronically enhance (namely so that you can see DS objects in color) the image through the eyepiece?

Again, just curious.

Thanks!

The closest thing is Night Vision (NV) astronomy. You should check out this sub-forum:

https://www.cloudyni...ost-processing/

• Falcondriver likes this

#6 Falcondriver

Falcondriver

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

The closest thing is Night Vision (NV) astronomy. You should check out this sub-forum:

https://www.cloudyni...ost-processing/

Yes sir - thank you!

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

But NV won’t give color views. Unless you like green a lot.

#8 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

The green NV : when used long enough and consistently, the green isn’t objectionable after a while. Similar to Newtonian users who aren’t bothered by diffraction spikes , achromat users who aren’t bothered by slight CA , or any situation where a new stimulus is edited out by our perception after an adjustment period.

The white NV: when manual gain is adjusted correctly, presents a view of nebulae, open clusters, and especially galaxies that is difficult to distinguish from using normal eyepieces.

But NV won’t give color views. Unless you like green a lot.

• Jeff Morgan, Doug Culbertson and nicoledoula like this

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

I have heard that after a while you don’t notice the green anymore, which makes sense. But you still won’t see color with NV, and the user is specifically wanting to see color. So NV won’t work for his situation, unless he is willing to sacrifice color for the convenience of real time viewing and not having to tie down cables. My intention isn’t to knock NV so much as simply point out that it won’t give him the color views he seeks. For that you need a camera, and then you need a power source, a display, possibly some computing power for processing images, likely a table to hold the computer, wires to connect everything, etc. Ultimately it seems he is asking for video astronomy images with NV convenience, which doesn’t really exist right now.

Scott
  • nicoledoula likes this

#10 mashirts

mashirts

Messenger

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

Maybe this new Jot sensor technology will bring an alternative to NV.

https://www.gigajot.tech/

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

To deeply dark-adapted eyes, very faint objects tend to look pale green any way. 

Mike

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

The green might not be so bad, seems the noise would be distracting. White phosphorus seems much better. What about dynamic range? One benefit of visual is our eye is very good with high dynamic range. That may be lost looking at an intensified image if we loose depth. The trade off might be worth it. Maybe not as it comes with a high cost. NV is very tempting if any trade off is worth seeing more, especially in light polluted skies.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics