•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece Cases? Does it matter what you buy?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

Looking to buy some eyepiece holders (the plastic case that holds a single eyepiece) and was wondering if there is a difference in quality.  Please let me know what you all use!  Looking for something cheap.  Spent around $1,000 on telescopes and items so my wife is growing angry smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• eyepieces .jpg

Edited by smilingmoose, 11 September 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

I use two of the Apache 4800 cases from Harbor Freight. Nice cases with firm pick and pluck foam. You can get a 20% off coupon here

• Phil Cowell, Garyth64 and Gostock like this

#3 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

Sorry, I probably wasnt very clear ha.  I just meant the cases that the eyepiece go into...not the case that holds all of them.  Im new :)

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

Owned at least 6 different cases over the years plastic, metal, foam rubber cut-outs, etc. - now have a ALL OAK "WoodWonders" --- with adjustable RED LED ILLUMINATION when you open it.  No more fumbling with my red led flashlight trying to see what you're looking for.  A bit expensive - but QUALITY and SOOOO PRACTICAL.  The "looks" I get at star parties and "where did you get that"???

Guy is a real craftsman and his cases are "CLASS AAA" !!!  All OAK - he will make the EP holder(s) to YOUR request. 2', 1.25" any combination you want.

M11Mike  

• TSSClay likes this

#5 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

I have seen some bolt cases that the plastic felt pretty thin, but it would still take a lot to tear one up. Of real importance is the foam at each end of the case, I would imagine.

Agenaastro.com sells bolt cases in various sizes and their prices are pretty reasonable.

I just checked, and our very own forum sponsors sell the cases and foam. Plus, forum members get a discount!

https://www.astronom...containers.html

Edited by wrvond, 11 September 2019 - 01:06 PM.

• havasman likes this

#6 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Agena sells bolt cases that work well. But they can be clutter at the observing site. On down the line you'll likely want something like what Doug recommended. But the bolt cases are good protection. Agena sells caps too.

Edited by havasman, 11 September 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#7 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

I think Agena sells plastic bolt cases that would do a good job. If you store your eyepieces in a larger case I would just cap the ends, though.

#8 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

I have an amazon gift card.  Could someone send a link to the cases?  I keep getting cases for multiple eyepieces.  I just dont know the wording ha.

#9 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

Sorry, I probably wasnt very clear ha.  I just meant the cases that the eyepiece go into...not the case that holds all of them.  Im new smile.gif

Ah, gotcha. Like this? https://agenaastro.c...lter-cases.html

Edit: I should pay more attention to other replies! 

#10 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

Yes!  But, do they sell these on Amazon?  This way i can buy something without my wife knowing, ha

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:14 PM

Looking to buy some eyepiece holders (the plastic case that holds a single eyepiece) and was wondering if there is a difference in quality.  Please let me know what you all use!  Looking for something cheap.  Spent around $1,000 on telescopes and items so my wife is growing angry smile.gif

My own inclination would be to buy/fit caps to both ends and then buy a case with foam for storage.  That'll keep the lenses clean and when it's time to observe, you can take the caps off and store them in the case.  When the dew devil is on the prowl, you can close the case to prevent dew from forming.  

I have a friend with a case with a red light.  I just know where everything is in my case so I don't need a light.

jon

• Rich V. and airbleeder like this

#12 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

An upset wife is worse than a contaminated eyepiece. And by a lot. Put 'em in plastic sandwich bags for a while. They'll be fine.

The cases are called BOLT CASES and can be searched.

• Jon Isaacs, noisejammer, Kunama and 2 others like this

#13 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:07 PM

When I just had a handful of eyepieces I used the original box the eyepieces came in. They always

had custom foam cutouts to protect the eyepieces. I liked taking them out of their boxes....felt like opening

a present.

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

Sorry, I probably wasnt very clear ha.  I just meant the cases that the eyepiece go into...not the case that holds all of them.  Im new smile.gif

If you are talking the clear / opaque Bolt Cases, Agena Astro has quite a large selection of various sizes at fair prices with great service ! I use a couple of dozen and wish I had a few more !

Edited by LDW47, 11 September 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#15 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

Yes!  But, do they sell these on Amazon?  This way i can buy something without my wife knowing, ha

I searched Amazon and surprisingly they don't appear to have them.

#16 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

I searched Amazon and surprisingly they don't appear to have them.

I think we actually found something on Amazon that they dont carry

• wrvond likes this

#17 Chris Y

Chris Y

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 7 - Wichita, Kansas, USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

Agena also has a Case Finder chart that should (read "probably") lists the proper size bolt case for your specific eyepieces.

https://astronomycon...se-lookup-table

I have Agena's bolt cases on my eyepieces and Barlow, and they're good quality.

#18 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:54 AM

I think we actually found something on Amazon that they dont carry

Go this route.

https://www.amazon.c...aps,255&sr=8-26

Then you won’t need the bolt cases and just the caps. Pluck foam means you can customize to the eyepieces.

Bill

#19 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

If you are looking for the cheapest single eyepiece containers I would suggest pill bottles of various sizes. You can buy them at any drug store very cheaply - I've even been given one when I asked about them at a Walgreens. They work very well.

• izar187 likes this

#20 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

Yes, Walgreens.

Many straight cylindrical pill bottles will work.

Walgreens has all different sizes.

Mine from them were free, via asking judiciously, when they were slow at the prescription counter.

You can add a swatch of bubble wrap into the bottom of the bottle as a spacer, where needed.

Other pharmacies may have better straight shank bottles, better suited to RKE's. 

#21 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Mariner 2

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

This is a good thread. It doesn’t matter the brand or whatnot. It matters to have a case with some form of padded lining to protect your precious glass against impacts. Now granted I keep around $3500 worth of TeleVue glass in a Pelican foam lined case, however it doesn’t need to be so elaborate. Any case that closes securely with a padded or foam lining to absorb shock will do. There are PLENTY of choices on the Internet from $30-$500. The choices are yours and yours alone. 

Edited by scotsman328i, 14 September 2019 - 05:54 PM.

#22 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

My choice was well below $30 - I found an old pistol case in a pawn shop with no price on it. They asked what I would give for it, I said I'd give them a whopping $5, they said "Sure".

• scotsman328i likes this

#23 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Mariner 2

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

My choice was well below $30 - I found an old pistol case in a pawn shop with no price on it. They asked what I would give for it, I said I'd give them a whopping $5, they said "Sure".

Heck! You can’t beat that! Good deal!

#24 archer1960

archer1960

Messenger

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have several bolt cases from Agena Astro, but have gotten a bit tired of opening and closing them all the time, and as I acquired more (and bigger) eyepieces, don't have room for them all in the tool bag I use to store them. So I bought one of Astronomics's padded soft cases, and really like it. It has pre-cut spots for both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces. The only issue I have is that most of mine are 2", and I don't have enough 2" spots for eyepieces, barlow, and field flattener, while there are several unused 1.25" spots. I know I can do some cutting on the foam, but haven't bothered yet.

#25 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

I would have to say it depends on whether or not you own some high-end eyepieces, like Televue Ethos. If your eyepiece collection is worth several thousand the I would strongly suggest that you spend accordingly and spend the money and get what I consider one of the best...Pelican cases. And no, I have no affiliation or any other relationship with Pelican other than owning one of their cases. Yep, they are pricey, but ask yourself, how much DID you spend on your eyepiece collection.

Now, on the other hand, if your budget is so that you can only afford reasonably priced eyepieces, than a more budget wise case is more appropriate and will more than do the job. Remember, Astronomy is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. The last thing you want to do is have a Monthly "Mortgage" payment for your equipment that rivals what your House Mortgage and keeps you up at night worrying how you will pay for it. Don't spend beyond your means, even reasonably priced budget wise Telescopes can give lots of enjoyment for years to come.

Hey, we're all in this together. Good luck and clear skies.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics