•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece Cases? Does it matter what you buy?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

I didn't care for the single eyepiece containers... you need to put all of those in a case anyway...

I also don't care for pluck foam... it's ok for a while, but sooner or later the plucks get plucked further... 

I also prefer light color foam over dark color foam as it makes it easier to find the caps when you want to change eyepieces or find the opening for any particular eyepiece.

Case in point... pun intended!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170604_170616.jpg

• Phil Cowell likes this

#27 airbleeder

airbleeder

Apollo

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted Yesterday, 02:48 PM

You don't have to spend a ton of money to have good quality eyepieces or cases to protect them. For three years,  all my equipment, including eyepieces (which were in zip lock bags) was tossed into a $2 canvas bag  I bought at a thrift store. 

After making some equipment changes a couple years ago, I trashed the zip lock bags and replaced the canvas bag with an Apache case from HF for my eyepieces and collimation tools. All the protection I need, plus I know where everything is, so I don't even need the red pen light which is in the case. When I take an ep out, I drop the caps into the empty slot and replace the caps when I replace the eyepiece. 

Edited by airbleeder, Yesterday, 02:58 PM.

#28 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted Yesterday, 03:42 PM

You don't have to spend a ton of money to have good quality eyepieces or cases to protect them. For three years,  all my equipment, including eyepieces (which were in zip lock bags) was tossed into a $2 canvas bag  I bought at a thrift store. 

After making some equipment changes a couple years ago, I trashed the zip lock bags and replaced the canvas bag with an Apache case from HF for my eyepieces and collimation tools. All the protection I need, plus I know where everything is, so I don't even need the red pen light which is in the case. When I take an ep out, I drop the caps into the empty slot and replace the caps when I replace the eyepiece. 

The Apache cases are excellent. Great value too. 

• airbleeder likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics