•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount for 180mm Orion Mak

astrophotography catadioptric equipment observing
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zubenelgenubi1961

zubenelgenubi1961

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

I have just purchased a 180mm Orion Mak with the SkyView Pro mount.  In my opinion, the mount is just barely sturdy enough to support it, and I don't think the True Track drive that attaches to the mount works well.  Any suggestions for an upgrade?  One note:  I don't like go to mounts- prefer old fashioned, but with an integrated clock drive.  I don't see any mount currently made that would really fit the bill, but perhaps I missed something.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

You would likely have to buy something used like the old non-go-to Atlas or a non Gemini GM8/G9.

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

With the add-on drive motors, would this one work? 

Celestron Omni CG-4 German Equatorial Mount

#4 zubenelgenubi1961

zubenelgenubi1961

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

CG-4 probably not enough.

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

I used a C9.25 on a Vixen GP. It was a bit shaky for visual. The Orion 180mm Mak weighs much less (16lb vs 22lb for the C9.25) so I suspect a Celestron AVX which is rated a bit higher than your SkyViewPro will do.

I wouldn't give up on the SVP just yet though.  Yes, the drive is horrible and has a lot of slack, but I think with better legs and the plywood tray and threaded rod trick it can be made to work for zero money.

https://www.cloudyni...-polaris-mount/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, catadioptric, equipment, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics