•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations, what would you choose in 2019

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 feygan

feygan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:45 PM

Hello guys

I'm planning on upgrading my SkyGuider PRO to a more robust eq go-to mount. I'm currently researching heavily on what to choose. I've come down to a couple of options:

iOptron CEM25 ~ 900 Euros

Celestron AVX ~ 1100 Euros

Skywatcher HEQ-5 PRO ~  1100 Euros

Skywatcher EQ6-PRO ~  1300 Euros

Skywatcher NEQ6-PRO ~  1300 Euros

iOptron iEQ30 PRO ~ 1400 Euros

Price of course is important because I'm saving up on a dedicated camera as well.

Weight payload is not a critical factor because I'm using a really lightweight setup now and I probably won't go more than 10kgs (20lbs) with it. At least in the foreseeable future.

Are there any options I'm missing in this price? What would you buy? 

PS: I'm leaning towards the HEQ-5 PRO.

Edited by feygan, 11 September 2019 - 02:46 PM.

#2 kingjamez

kingjamez

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

What telescope do you plan on putting on the future mount?

-Jim

#3 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

10kg is going to be bumping up against the limits of imaging payload for most of these mounts.  If you plan to use 10kg, then the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro would be the better choice.

• EFT likes this

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:22 PM

Hello guys

I'm planning on upgrading my SkyGuider PRO to a more robust eq go-to mount. I'm currently researching heavily on what to choose. I've come down to a couple of options:

iOptron CEM25 ~ 900 Euros

Celestron AVX ~ 1100 Euros

Skywatcher HEQ-5 PRO ~  1100 Euros

Skywatcher EQ6-PRO ~  1300 Euros

Skywatcher NEQ6-PRO ~  1300 Euros

iOptron iEQ30 PRO ~ 1400 Euros

Price of course is important because I'm saving up on a dedicated camera as well.

Weight payload is not a critical factor because I'm using a really lightweight setup now and I probably won't go more than 10kgs (20lbs) with it. At least in the foreseeable future.

Are there any options I'm missing in this price? What would you buy? 

PS: I'm leaning towards the HEQ-5 PRO.

The good news about mounts is that you generally get what you pay for.  The bad news about mounts is that you generally get what you pay for.  <smile>

Weight is always an issue, even if you're within the manufacturers weight limit.   Which is whatever they want it to be, there are no standards.  Focal length counts in the analysis, also.

The HEQ5 is a decent choice, I wouldn't go below it.

The EQ6-R is good, but heavy.  Fixing that is expensive (CEM40).

Edited by bobzeq25, 11 September 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#5 feygan

feygan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

What telescope do you plan on putting on the future mount?

-Jim

Right now I own a William Optics Zenithstar 61 which is a really light scope. In the future I'm aiming towards an 100mm+ apochromat refractor, which in theory shouldn't weight more than 6-7kgs 

#6 feygan

feygan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

The good news about mounts is that you generally get what you pay for.  The bad news about mounts is that you generally get what you pay for.  <smile>

Weight is always an issue, even if you're within the manufacturers weight limit.   Which is whatever they want it to be, there are no standards.  Focal length counts in the analysis, also.

The HEQ5 is a decent choice, I wouldn't go below it.

The EQ6-R is good, but heavy.  Fixing that is expensive (CEM40).

Thanks for the reply, below as in price?

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, below as in price?

Yes.  I think $1200 is a good price point for a solid entry level mount.

I will say the CEM25P has a following.

#8 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

My CEM25P worked well with my (now sold) ES FCD102. Their IEQ30P would be slightly better.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0228-2.jpg

• psandelle likes this

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:56 AM

As I just said in another thread...I have and really like the CEM25P.  I have two setups on it, one with a WOZ61 (plus guide scope, EAF, CFW, ASI183mm-pro); one with a 6" f/4 Newt (with pretty much the same add-ons).  The first setup weighs about 4kg, the second about 8kg.

It works very well for both setups.

As you get closer to 10kg, though, I'd start to be wary.  It's a great mount for lighter loads, but if you push the boundaries, I'd go for a heavier-duty mount.

I might suggest either the EQ6-R Pro or the iOptron CEM40.

• psandelle likes this

#10 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

I'd ask myself how large may be the mount I would willingly move, how long plan to keep the mount and the mid term plan.

A mount such as the eq6 may be the safest option in term of room to grow, but undoubtedly a bad idea if, as was in my case, are too lazy to handle its 30kg weight.

A cem25 is very nice to move (especially after an imaging session), but if the big plan is to take pictures of small stuff would take you along a rather nasty path (long focal and small telescope mean also slow telescope).

• psandelle likes this

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

As I just said in another thread...I have and really like the CEM25P.  I have two setups on it, one with a WOZ61 (plus guide scope, EAF, CFW, ASI183mm-pro); one with a 6" f/4 Newt (with pretty much the same add-ons).  The first setup weighs about 4kg, the second about 8kg.

It works very well for both setups.

As you get closer to 10kg, though, I'd start to be wary.  It's a great mount for lighter loads, but if you push the boundaries, I'd go for a heavier-duty mount.

I might suggest either the EQ6-R Pro or the iOptron CEM40.

Paul , do you put 8 kg for imaging ?

Because in the future i might buy an 125 mm scope for visual weight about 8 kg I was wondering if my IEQ30 pro would really cope with the weight though....

#12 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

Because in the future i might buy an 125 mm scope for visual weight about 8 kg I was wondering if my IEQ30 pro would really cope with the weight though....

For visual, it's fine.  For imaging, not so much.

People look at weight specs for mounts, and think that's the only thing that's important.  For imaging, focal length counts a whole lot.  So, a 30 would be really marginal for a 125 for imaging.

Visual is _much_ less demanding on mounts.  Your short exposure eyes, hooked to a smart brain, can easily deal with movement, that would make dumb .005mm pixels, throw up their hands and quit.  <smile>

#13 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

I do.  See below.

And yes, it's fine for imaging.  610mm FL.  Balance is tricky with the Newt setup, but once achieved it slews and tracks like a champ, 0.5" total RMS regularly in guiding, no trailed stars.

By the way, the dangling power brick in the image wasn't left there for imaging.  I took care of that with a longer cable smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 6inch_ready.jpg
  • lagoonwith6.jpg

Edited by OldManSky, 12 September 2019 - 08:44 PM.

• Jenz114 likes this

#14 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:51 AM

My recommendation would be for the EQ6-R.  A good solid mount that gives you room to grow while being able to last long as well and an improvement over the EQ6.  The performance in this level of mount does not significantly vary between the different mounts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics