•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

qestions about truss scopes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:54 PM

i have been thinking about purchasing orions 12" truss intelliscope. just a few question please, seeing that the primary mirror part has a dust cover but the top part were to secondary mirror is would be open so how would you keep it clean if its exposed to the elements. i dont intend on breaking it down for outreach or viewing at a dark site so how does this type scope hold up. if i am just going to move it out the door and on my patio it shouldn't loose collimation should it. is a shroud really necessary, my patio has a privacy fence around it so no light comes in from other places. thanks, don   

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

Both lower and upper tube assemblies have covers.

#3 jfaldo

jfaldo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest, Wy

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

There's a top and bottom cover, unless you're referring to the underside of the top where the secondary is. then yes that's open. When not in use the tube is vertical so that opening is obviously facing down. I think the shroud is a mandatory item. Not so much for the light pollution aspect but for the dust and debris cover.

When I put mine away for the night and I'm leaving it set up outside I leave the shroud on and place the bottom and top hard covers on the tube. The shroud easily slides up to put the bottom cover on. Orion makes a cover for their big dobs that's pretty nice. It's not recommended to protect from rain or other inclement weather though. What I'll do after I put the Orion cover over mine I will usually put a polly tarp over that and tie it down. Works for me and I'm pretty protected regardless of what happens while I'm sleeping. 

#4 Sketcher

Sketcher

Apollo

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:58 PM

A shroud might still prove beneficial in delaying the formation of dew/frost on your mirrors.  It would also offer some added protection from other air-borne contaminants, allowing you to go longer without having to clean your mirrors.

For your situation, a solid tube might be more practical than a truss.

Edited by Sketcher, 11 September 2019 - 05:59 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

A shroud might still prove beneficial in delaying the formation of dew/frost on your mirrors.  It would also offer some added protection from other air-borne contaminants, allowing you to go longer without having to clean your mirrors.

For your situation, a solid tube might be more practical than a truss.

A shroud also protects against stray light and helps some with heat from your body and warm air from your body disturbing the optical path.

With any Newtonian, even if it's only been sitting in one place, collimation should be checked and adjusted if necessary before each use. I have the best luck with scopes I carry. Scopes that are rolled get jiggled and bounced and that seems to affect collimation more often.

Jon

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:05 PM

1. Buy a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey.

2. Remove the bottle from the blue velvet pouch it's in.

3. Enjoy the whiskey.

4. Use the blue velvet pouch to cover your secondary mirror when not in use.

You're welcome :)

• Don W and kyle528 like this

#7 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:05 AM

Several years ago a past club president downsized to an XT12g that was a really nice telescope. He hauled it all over the place for years, sometimes in the back of his pick-em-up truck. I never admired that but the scope held up just fine. It also gave good views.

But yes. You want a shroud. Even at a dark site, removing/replacing the shroud can be seen in the eyepiece and all towns make light.

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

i have been thinking about purchasing orions 12" truss intelliscope. just a few question please, seeing that the primary mirror part has a dust cover but the top part were to secondary mirror is would be open so how would you keep it clean if its exposed to the elements. i dont intend on breaking it down for outreach or viewing at a dark site so how does this type scope hold up. if i am just going to move it out the door and on my patio it shouldn't loose collimation should it. is a shroud really necessary, my patio has a privacy fence around it so no light comes in from other places. thanks, don   

I would recommend a shroud.

--cuts down on scattered light in scope (even the sky is a source of scattered light)

--reduces possibility of dew on mirrors

--keeps body heat out of light path

--keeps mirror a tad cleaner

--keeps some insects and little kids hands away from the mirror

It can always be removed if the wind is stiff to reduce the tendency of the scope to move in the wind.

• Jon Isaacs and Markovich like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics