•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron c11 tube balance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 m11

m11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

Hi All,

I have a Celestron CPC 11 on the standard alt az dual fork mount in which a small amount of weight at the back will tip the tube backwards. Not sure if there is something I can do to tighten? 

It doesn't take much as I can slightly touch the tube and it will go backwards. The tension knobs are tighten as much as I can as well.

Has anyone else had a similiar issue? I believe this is impacting tracking as well.

Thanks,

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

Getting a good balance is key! 

https://starizona.co...00-complete-kit

I've also seen folks do everything from taping on sandbags and magnetic weights to hanging various things off of the front of their OTA's :)

• tomwall likes this

#3 m11

m11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

Hi Zak,

Thanks for that - will look into that kit. Its frustrating especially when pointing near the meridian and scope just flips back. confused1.gif

Appreciate the response.

Regards,

• zakry3323 likes this

#4 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hi Zak,

Thanks for that - will look into that kit. Its frustrating especially when pointing near the meridian and scope just flips back. confused1.gif

Appreciate the response.

Regards,

My pleasure! It's especially handy if you like to swap out differently weighted eyepieces, or if you become interested in astrophotography and want to put a camera on the back of it. 

Welcome to cloudy nights!

#5 yowser

yowser

Vostok 1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

I had a similar issue when I added a MoonLite focuser to my Vixen VMC260L.  Adding an Astrozap dew shield allowed me to balance it perfectly.

#6 tomwall

tomwall

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

smile.gif

Back in the day, I had a fork mounted C8. Every time I loosened  the clutches to swing to a different spot in the sky, my OTA  would swing skyward too. I had to make sure I was holding it. My workaround was to tie a small bag to the front end and place small rocks in it until it balanced. And yes, all my friends made fun of me. But, it worked! waytogo.gif

Tom,

Tucson

#7 m11

m11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:45 AM

My pleasure! It's especially handy if you like to swap out differently weighted eyepieces, or if you become interested in astrophotography and want to put a camera on the back of it. 

Welcome to cloudy nights!

Hi Zak,

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Always good to ask someone more experienced than me. grin.gif

#8 m11

m11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:52 AM

I had a similar issue when I added a MoonLite focuser to my Vixen VMC260L.  Adding an Astrozap dew shield allowed me to balance it perfectly.

Hi Yowser,

Will add that as well to try to balance out the front with my dew shield.

Thank you for the suggestion. smile.gif

#9 m11

m11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:14 AM

smile.gif

Back in the day, I had a fork mounted C8. Every time I loosened  the clutches to swing to a different spot in the sky, my OTA  would swing skyward too. I had to make sure I was holding it. My workaround was to tie a small bag to the front end and place small rocks in it until it balanced. And yes, all my friends made fun of me. But, it worked! waytogo.gif

Tom,

Tucson

Yah that is my problem as well. Good idea and its a novel one at that. Whatever works I say :)

Thanks for idea - I will look at adding weight to the front as Celestron have recommended the scope be serviced and sent in - not going to be a cheap exercise as the scope needs to be sent interstate.

Mel

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics