•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion SkyQuest XT10g GoTo Dobsonian - good for planetary imaging?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:07 PM

Hi there, I have a mild case of Aperture fever, and am looking at upgrading from my 6" f10 SCT to an Orion SkyQuest XT10g GoTo Dobsonian which is currently on eBay near me. It's a 10" f4.7 (1200mm f/l) and I'm wondering if this would be good for planetary imaging with a 3 / 5x Barlow attached?

It seems to have a good writeup on the CN reviews area, does anyone have any advice one way or the other? Or should I wait for a 9.25"/11" SCT to come on the market?

https://www.cloudyni...pressions-r2411

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 11 September 2019 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

I used to image with the XT12G and at the time a Neximage5 camera. Optically the scope was great but tracking was a bit rough. This is what I did with the 12G and Neximage5.   My advice would be to wait for a 9.25.

https://www.astrobin.../users/billytk/

Edited by Billytk, 11 September 2019 - 09:18 PM.

• mdowns, charotarguy and Tulloch like this

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

My advice would be to wait for a 9.25.

OK, thanks ...fingerscrossed.gif fingertap.gif

#4 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

You did want opinions from someone who has actually used one, yes? lol.gif 

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

You did want opinions from someone who has actually used one, yes? lol.gif

Absolutely, I really appreciate the advice. Now I have to wait around to find one I can afford (hence the "tapping my fingers waiting around" emoji fingertap.gif, and the "cross my fingers hope something comes up soon" fingerscrossed.gif ).

Of course, the 9.25 costs at least double the xt10g, even on the 2nd hand market frown.gif ....

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 12 September 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#6 Jenz114

Jenz114

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Missouri, USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

I used to image with the XT12G and at the time a Neximage5 camera. Optically the scope was great but tracking was a bit rough. This is what I did with the 12G and Neximage5.   My advice would be to wait for a 9.25.

https://www.astrobin.../users/billytk/

How did the planetary tracking on the dobsonian compare with the Celestron Evolution mount? Any noticeable difference between the two alt-azimuth mounts? I've also found the aperture per dollar spent ratio pretty attractive on the Orions.

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

...well, I've seen that ad Andrew (if it's still there) & I know some folks don't like those alt/az drives although quite a few people seem to overcome that or else become very proficient regardless...& I have looked at quite  few of Billy's different planetary images in his astrobin gallery, albeit with the 12" version...so I'd think quite long & hard about it - perhaps..!?!

Hardly an emphatic statement from me I appreciate rofl2.gif but the way I see it is that newts don't lend themselves to such easily-accurate star-test collimating as SCT's tbh...perhaps another personal statement...but Billy's images with the XT12G aren't rubbish either! smile.gif

DISCLAIMER: KM takes no responsibility whatsoever for whatever scope Andrew spends (or wastes!) his hard-earned $'s on..!!! rulez.gif step.gif whistling.gif

• Tulloch and Jenz114 like this

#8 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:51 PM

...well, I've seen that ad Andrew (if it's still there) & I know some folks don't like those alt/az drives although quite a few people seem to overcome that or else become very proficient regardless...& I have looked at quite  few of Billy's different planetary images in his astrobin gallery, albeit with the 12" version...so I'd think quite long & hard about it - perhaps..!?!

Hardly an emphatic statement from me I appreciate rofl2.gif but the way I see it is that newts don't lend themselves to such easily-accurate star-test collimating as SCT's tbh...perhaps another personal statement...but Billy's images with the XT12G aren't rubbish either! smile.gif

DISCLAIMER: KM takes no responsibility whatsoever for whatever scope Andrew spends (or wastes!) his hard-earned $'s on..!!! rulez.gif step.gif whistling.gif

roflmao.gif

Thanks, my first "dip a toe in the water" scope was a $100 2nd hand Celestron 130EQ Newtonian, a manually operated horror that caused me more pain than pleasure. It was a happy day when I picked it up, but a happier day when sold it for what I'd originally paid. I find collimating the SCT much easier and don't really want to go back ... And if the advice from someone who's used it (or something similar) is try something else, well, I'll try something else.

There's a nice CPC 9.25 on Gumtree right now, albeit for $2800 and I'd have to pick it up from Qld, or a CPC 1100 just down the road at $4300. Maybe I'll start a GoFundMe page, or buy another Powerball ticket this week praying.gif .

Andrew

#9 CPellier

CPellier

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

I did made an extensive experience of planetary imaging with an altaz dobsonian last year (Skywatcher 305 Goto) and found it to be an excellent instrument. The tracking is rather poor, but PIPP will correct the problem, and then WinJupos will handle the field rotation "fingers in the nose". Here is my complete review

A C9 is a very good telescope, but smaller in diameter, and considerably more expensive especially if one needs to buy an equatorial mount at the same time.

Altaz dobsonians are the perfect telescopes of the future :)

• eros312, Tulloch and Jenz114 like this

#10 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

I did made an extensive experience of planetary imaging with an altaz dobsonian last year (Skywatcher 305 Goto) and found it to be an excellent instrument. The tracking is rather poor, but PIPP will correct the problem, and then WinJupos will handle the field rotation "fingers in the nose". Here is my complete review

A C9 is a very good telescope, but smaller in diameter, and considerably more expensive especially if one needs to buy an equatorial mount at the same time.

Altaz dobsonians are the perfect telescopes of the future smile.gif

Thanks Christophe, I've read your presentation a number of times (and directed others to it), even though I can't read it all as I don't have OpenOffice. Your presentation was why I even considered this option, even though I much prefer an SCT. My Evolution mount will handle a 9.25 OTA so I probably don't need a new mount.

#11 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

How did the planetary tracking on the dobsonian compare with the Celestron Evolution mount? Any noticeable difference between the two alt-azimuth mounts? I've also found the aperture per dollar spent ratio pretty attractive on the Orions.

The Orion XT12G would require adjusting on the hand controller to keep the planet on screen about every 30 seconds to 60 seconds depending on the night. My Evolution 9.25 will need adjustment every 150 seconds on a bad night but will on a regular basis keep the planet on screen for 4 to 6 minutes or longer. It's a big difference. I could never walk away from the XTG or I would have to find the planet again. I can walk away from the Evo to use the bathroom and not have to worry about it.

• Tulloch and Jenz114 like this

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

The Orion XT12G would require adjusting on the hand controller to keep the planet on screen about every 30 seconds to 60 seconds depending on the night. My Evolution 9.25 will need adjustment every 150 seconds on a bad night but will on a regular basis keep the planet on screen for 4 to 6 minutes or longer. It's a big difference. I could never walk away from the XTG or I would have to find the planet again. I can walk away from the Evo to use the bathroom and not have to worry about it.

Thanks Bill, that's really useful info. My Evolution sometimes tracks really well, other times it just needs a little help. I think I'm leaning towards the 9.25 on my current Evolution.

Do you control your Evolution using wifi? I used to use SkySafari Plus on my iPhone, but the connection was flaky at best, untrustworthy at worst. What I did like about it was the ability to use additional alignment points afterthe  original alignment, which was really useful to center in on a planet after changing over my eyepiece for my camera (which always causes the alignment to shift due to the change in weight).

Do you know if there is an option in the Evolution hand-controller for this? 

Thanks,

Andrew

#13 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Bill, that's really useful info. My Evolution sometimes tracks really well, other times it just needs a little help. I think I'm leaning towards the 9.25 on my current Evolution.

Do you control your Evolution using wifi? I used to use SkySafari Plus on my iPhone, but the connection was flaky at best, untrustworthy at worst. What I did like about it was the ability to use additional alignment points afterthe original alignment, which was really useful to center in on a planet after changing over my eyepiece for my camera (which always causes the alignment to shift due to the change in weight).

Do you know if there is an option in the Evolution hand-controller for this?

Thanks,

Andrew

I use the hand controller. I am not a fan of using my phone or tablet for my scope. I prefer the feel of the buttons. Not sure about adding alignment stars though.
  • Tulloch likes this

#14 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:38 AM

Two trains of thought from me:

1. I spent years trying to do eyeball planetary with a fast SCT (f/6). The same size Mak blows it out of the water. It takes heroics on many fronts to make a fast scope a long scope. The problem is one of discerning low contrast details—a fast scope will blow them out with many photons. That's their specialty.
  2. I have several colleagues with Dobs, and I'd love to explain to them how to make those good planetary scopes. And if anyone's up to the challenge of figuring it out, I think you are. So I'd love to point them to your results and methods.

It's only money…

your money, at that!…

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 14 September 2019 - 01:38 AM.

• Tulloch likes this

#15 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Thanks all for your advice - I decided on a 2nd hand 9.25 SCT which will mount directly into my current Evolution mount, thanks to Darryl for pointing me to the IceInSpace classifieds.

Hopefully this will help alleviate my aperture fever (for a while anyway) lol.gif .

Andrew

#16 Foc

Foc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

Good luck with managing your aperture fever Andrew!  lol.gif   I also had seen that advert and felt a few pangs! I like the slower optics of the C9.25. Do you have the heavy cpc tripod for the Evolution already or does it come with that second hand scope?  While your  existing EVO mount will handle the bigger Cat, I think you will need a firmer tripod than the one that normally comes with the C6. The C9.25 should come with a cpc tripod.

I have been sticking with the smaller tripod so far for grab and go convenience but ....somewhat analogously to you, in the last week or so ... I have been trying out a new C8 on the EVO to preview next years gains while the bigger gas bags are still in our skies at evening. So far I do not think I have this new scope as well tuned as my C6 and there may also been more thermal sensitivity. And Neptune is not much easier.   In any case for Saturn (not yet Jupiter) I am only just now getting some images that approach those of the C6 and example being the attached Saturn taken with the C8 on 14 Sept.  It takes a while for me to progress with new gear and seeing has not been very steady here to help me to make firm conclusions yet.  Expect if conditions stays turbulent I will soon drop back to the C6 for much of this year, and in particular for Mercury and Venus which will start in the evenings close to the unsteady horizon and ground thermals.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-09-14-1236_5-UV-Sat_ZWO ASI224MC_Gain=365(off)_Exposure=11.png

• Tulloch likes this

#17 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

Good luck with managing your aperture fever Andrew!  lol.gif   I also had seen that advert and felt a few pangs! I like the slower optics of the C9.25. Do you have the heavy cpc tripod for the Evolution already or does it come with that second hand scope?  While your  existing EVO mount will handle the bigger Cat, I think you will need a firmer tripod than the one that normally comes with the C6. The C9.25 should come with a cpc tripod.

I have been sticking with the smaller tripod so far for grab and go convenience but ....somewhat analogously to you, in the last week or so ... I have been trying out a new C8 on the EVO to preview next years gains while the bigger gas bags are still in our skies at evening. So far I do not think I have this new scope as well tuned as my C6 and there may also been more thermal sensitivity. And Neptune is not much easier.   In any case for Saturn (not yet Jupiter) I am only just now getting some images that approach those of the C6 and example being the attached Saturn taken with the C8 on 14 Sept.  It takes a while for me to progress with new gear and seeing has not been very steady here to help me to make firm conclusions yet.  Expect if conditions stays turbulent I will soon drop back to the C6 for much of this year, and in particular for Mercury and Venus which will start in the evenings close to the unsteady horizon and ground thermals.

Hi Foc, thanks for your input. All that was on offer was the OTA, so while the larger tripod would have been an advantage, I thought I'd try it out first on the standard one. If I'm careful with the balancing it should be fine, it's still a pretty solid tripod. I thought about a C8 but it seemed like just an incremental change while the 9.25 offered a bit more, and when it came up for sale I thought I'd give it a go. Even if doesn't work out for me I'm sure I won't lose out too much if I re-sell later.

There should still be enough time this year for some good Saturn time, maybe some of Jupiter if conditions are right smile.gif .

Andrew

#18 Jenz114

Jenz114

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Missouri, USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

This was the exact type of feedback I was looking for, thank you! It's really helpful knowing what to expect. I've been using the Celestron NexStar 8SE, and while I'm sure my alignment could use some work, I have to make adjustments about every 30 seconds or so to keep Jupiter and Saturn centered in the maximum field of view with the ASI224MC and a 2x Barlow. It sounds like the tracking on a dobsonian, while not ideal, could still be manageable and certainly not any worse than what I'm already dealing with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics