•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12v fan power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 prototype3a

prototype3a

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Christiansburg VA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

So, the AA pack that came with my scope died and honestly, I can't be bothered to deal with alkalines or AA cells in quantities this high.  So I was trying to figure out another way to supply 12v in an easier to maintain manner.

Finally, I remembered that I had purchased this neat Milwaukee M12 widgit so I could charge my tools (slowly) with a phone charger when I go on travel.

https://www.homedepo...-1201/301956778

It has a 12v output for use with the M12 heated jackets and other winter gear.  It uses the same barrel plug as the telescope and both are center pin positive.  I just had to find an old wall wart with the right plug and hack the two wires together with some solder and heatshrink.

This is perfect for me as I have a dozen or so M12 battery packs and the 6ah ones should last for days running that silly little fan.  Also, the M12 packs should handle cold weather just fine.

Edited by prototype3a, 11 September 2019 - 09:41 PM.

• havasman likes this

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

Those AA packs barely lasted 2 hours on my simple goto mount.  I got a 13 AH gel-cell and put it in one of those $6.00 ammo boxes that Harbor Freight sells.  Works great and can get a couple dozen nights out of it before charging.

Frank

#3 prototype3a

prototype3a

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

To be honest, this is 2019.  Lead acid batteries take FOREVER to charge, are heavy and don't handle cold particularly well.

What I did, doesn't make any sense if you don't already own the power tool packs.

I actually have a pair of 55AH AGM lead acids that I used to use for power out in the field.  These days, I just use a Honda inverter generator if I need a few hundred watts because the Honda is actually lighter and cheaper to maintain.

Edited by prototype3a, 12 September 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#4 prototype3a

prototype3a

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

I did a little research and it seems that the Milwaukee 49-24-2371 M18 "power source" has a regulated 12v output.  So, it could be used as well if someone has M18 batteries to power their telescope.  I haven't seen anything yet that says how much current it can supply though.  I might be able to back calculate the ratings if I can find runtime data for the heated jacket.

I happen to have the M18 string trimmer and it came with a big 9ah M18 pack and so I've been looking for other things that I can use that big pack for.

#5 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

I purchased a Talentcell battery for my Meade ETX-80, and I've already powered my scope with it for about 3 hours, and it's still showing a full charge. Everything I've read on CN and elsewhere about long term performance has been good. If it holds up, I'll continue to use Talentcell for any future applications as well.

#6 prototype3a

prototype3a

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

I was actually looking for something like that before I remembered I had the "power source" for my M12 packs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics