•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Andromeda...one more time...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

Finally was able to dump more time into capturing Andromeda. I want to get something I can get a large print of. I tried my hand at the morphologicaltransformation in pixinsight...I like the results but...it gave the background an odd kinda texture. It might not be a big deal cuz I'm planning on getting it printed in canvas...which already HAS texture. Anyway...thoughts?!

Attached Thumbnails

• Image08_ABE1122.jpg

• zjc26138, Starman27, jambroseus and 18 others like this

#2 JDShoots

JDShoots

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, North East

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

Beautiful picture!  Looks like that Tripod worked well for you!

It is hard to see the texture you refer to in a small image, but am I seeing the dreaded walking noise?  

How much integrated time is in this shot?

#3 Sky King

Sky King

Sputnik

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:58 AM

Wow! You nailed it. smile.gif

#4 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:14 AM

Beautiful picture! Looks like that Tripod worked well for you!
It is hard to see the texture you refer to in a small image, but am I seeing the dreaded walking noise?
How much integrated time is in this shot?

Like twelve hours. I hadn't heard of dithering when I did this. Kinda wish I had....and yes it has!! My other tripod kept losing PA when I would move it around and shake a lot. This super ghetto tripod is craY solid!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Edited by Teddythefinger, 12 September 2019 - 05:30 AM.

#5 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:15 AM

Wow! You nailed it. smile.gif

Thanks,!

#6 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:17 AM

See if this looks better!

get.jpg?insecure

#7 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:00 AM

Looks good! If you have a problem with the background it is very light. Not much noticeable.

What I see is chromatic noise (look at the galaxy outer arms). You can fix it with ACDNR applying only chromatic noise reduction.

In any case is a very good result. Congratulations!

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

#8 Huangdi

Huangdi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Dude this is a HUGE improvement, that's definitely a picture to be proud of!

The only things that, as you mentioned, stands out a little is the background noise. If you have carboni's Astro actions in Photoshop, you might want to run a few iterations of "color blotch reduction" and vertical banding reduction (not sure what exactly it's called) and see if that helps.

Either way, good job! 😍

#9 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

Dude this is a HUGE improvement, that's definitely a picture to be proud of!

The only things that, as you mentioned, stands out a little is the background noise. If you have carboni's Astro actions in Photoshop, you might want to run a few iterations of "color blotch reduction" and vertical banding reduction (not sure what exactly it's called) and see if that helps.

Either way, good job!

Thanks!! I'm excited to see it printed, but I want to fix something's first. I do have those actions, didn't know what those did. I'll try em out tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Huangdi likes this

#10 JDShoots

JDShoots

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Like twelve hours. I hadn't heard of dithering when I did this. Kinda wish I had....and yes it has!! My other tripod kept losing PA when I would move it around and shake a lot. This super ghetto tripod is craY solid!

12 hours, wow.  Dithering is new to me too.  With my setup I have no way to dither.   Maybe an inaccurate polar alignment:/

Next you can fill the base of the tripod with C'ment.

I am curious to see what your noise reduction tools can do, I have an M31 image with the same noise.  

Out of curiosity, do you intentionally leave the satellite and plane trails in there?  I noticed because DSS seems to remove them.  

#11 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

12 hours, wow. Dithering is new to me too. With my setup I have no way to dither. Maybe an inaccurate polar alignment:/
Next you can fill the base of the tripod with C'ment.
I am curious to see what your noise reduction tools can do, I have an M31 image with the same noise.
Out of curiosity, do you intentionally leave the satellite and plane trails in there? I noticed because DSS seems to remove them.

Thanks man!! I think the star adventurer only dithers in the ra...I think....and I started using sharp cap to do my pa when I got a guide scope and camera. It's totally changed how I do the PA now. Here's the tutorial I used. https://youtu.be/jqMsDKRDWAM
I followed it until the noise reduction part was done. Then I took it in Photoshop and edited it there. I haven't noticed any trails so I can't comment on that.

#12 JDShoots

JDShoots

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:41 PM

Cool, I'll check out that tutorial.  I just started using StarTools, so now I have a reference point to compare with.   

Not to be a *ick, but there is a trail in the lower right, and another on the right side, 1/3rd down from the top.   I only mention it since you might be disappointed seeing them AFTER you print.    I will be curious in your impression of the print that you get.  

#13 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Man I can't believe you saw those! That's looking pretty close for sure. I just might have to clean those up. Thanks for looking out!

#14 JDShoots

JDShoots

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:13 PM

Glad to help.   I know I would be pretty upset if I paid 50 bucks for a print and THEN saw that:)  

#15 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Re the walking noise, maybe post #4 in the following thread could help (long shot): 

https://www.cloudyni...-in-processing/

As long as you are being receptive to improvements you could make to your image before committing to a big, expensive print, I would make tweaks using the chromatic aberration and defringing tools in your favourite photo-processing app. Red size needs to shrink a little and blue size increase a little. The defringing should address the red and blue halos; you may need to mask M31 itself to avoid leaving visible donuts around stars directly in front of it. 

PS. Given that you use PI there are even better techniques for "defringing" and removing halos: https://pixinsight.c...hp?topic=9566.0

https://pixinsight.c...hp?topic=9685.0.

http://www.iceinspac...ad.php?t=102799

Edited by Alen K, 13 September 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#16 Oyaji

Oyaji

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:38 PM

I think that pic is fabulous, and I look forward to meeting you and your super ghetto tripod at the Illinois Deep Sky Star Party at the end of the month.  Don't shave that beard before then!  

Edited by Oyaji, 12 September 2019 - 11:40 PM.

• Teddythefinger likes this

#17 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:14 AM

I think that pic is fabulous, and I look forward to meeting you and your super ghetto tripod at the Illinois Deep Sky Star Party at the end of the month. Don't shave that beard before then!

Lol never! Unfortunately my wife and I can't go. There are certain amenities she requires for us to camp together and this one didn't have them. Maybe I can talk her into it for next year!

#18 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:16 AM

Re the walking noise, maybe post #4 in the following thread could help (long shot):
https://www.cloudyni...-in-processing/

As long as you are being receptive to improvements you could make to your image before committing to a big, expensive print, I would make tweaks using the chromatic aberration and defringing tools in your favourite photo-processing app. Red size needs to shrink a little and blue size increase a little. The definging should address the red and blue halos; you may need to mask M31 itself to avoid leaving visible donuts around stars directly in front of it.

Awesome! I'm always down for ways to improve.

#19 proud clamper

proud clamper

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

Excellent image Mr Finger! If I may ask, how many and what were your exposure lengths? Also what was your ISO setting?

Thanks my friend!

• Teddythefinger likes this

#20 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:15 AM

Excellent image Mr Finger! If I may ask, how many and what were your exposure lengths? Also what was your ISO setting?

Thanks my friend!

Thanks! ISO was 800, subs were...I think...73 at 10 minutes each. I had just gotten an auto guider and wanted to see how long I could push it. May be too long of exposures but it seems to have worked out ok!!

#21 proud clamper

proud clamper

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I am not using an autoguider yet, (my next purchase), so I am limited to 2 min subs at best. 

#22 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

Yea I could get around there. I went the cheap route and got a very basic guider. Works like a champ! Def worth it.

#23 kfrank2380

kfrank2380

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

Your picture is amazing. I have yet to see Andromeda it's always in the place with the most light pollution where I live. 

#24 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:12 PM

Your picture is amazing. I have yet to see Andromeda it's always in the place with the most light pollution where I live.

Thank you! I've been blessed that when we moved out of the city we found a home with really dark skies. I hadn't thought of doing Astro when we moved, it just kinda happened. It's def a cool target though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics