•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

looking to come back to astronomy thru terrestrial use and photography

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WayneO

WayneO

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: cloudy Pittsburgh PENNSYLVANIA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

I have put astronomy on the shelf for more than a decade. I am missing it tremendously. Especially since i need to be more mobile in my career, and i am growing more fond of wildlife photography and long distance terrestrial viewing.

First off i must confess, i have a 1400 dollar credit at woodland hills camera. So i am limited some, but I am looking forward to buying something real nice!

Because i miss astronomy, my current research says, Spotting scopes for wide field photography and or medium power visual terrestrial or astro use, might not impress as much as a TeleVue 85 might? What little experience I had with that scope, i was impressed!! Although i never did consider terrestrial viewing or photography 20 years ago, i kinda wish i had, and i wish i still owned it.

I no nothing about photography and astro-photography, but I am interested in learning.

Everyone knows the specs of a TV 76, and it's wonderful reviews! I was looking to consider comparing it to 2 new telescopes soon to be released for just a few dollars less than the exceptional quality of a TV 76.

The 2 newbies soon to be released is William Optics Grand T 81 with flatterer or Stellarvue SVX80T-25SV newest.

Both 80mm, F6, triplets. I'm sure both capable of accepting binoviewers,

But to compare what the view looks like for each one at 15 X and 50 X respectively to see or know which offers the most crisp image and widest view?

Then to toss in the power to take spectacular imaging from what i'm learning can get extremely expensive including names like Nikon, Leica, Kowa, Zeiss, Swarovski, and others I'm not in tune to!

Lastly i mention the bigger names in binoculars and spotting scopes because, they all make impressive optics! I have seen a few in person, and the images ive seen from anything priced over $1500 dollars, left me drooling for something to brag about, but i still know very little other than the specs i can see they each post. 

I thoroughly enjoy using this website from having a good time reading and learning on a cloudy night to helping me research everything i possibly can when I make a decision to spend more than a few hundred dollars!

I appreciate any input or conversation on making a decision on my next new purchase! 

#2 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

I gather that there are conversion kitsch that allow you to attach eyepieces to camera lenses, essentially converting them into telescopes. I personally know nothing about them, but have seen them here.

As a former photographer who did a lot of nature work, I'd look into what can be done with the larger telephoto lenses in terms of astronomy. That way you could pull double duty with your equipment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics