•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ID this rare (?) Zeiss Jena Newton....

classic reflector equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:00 AM

Hi Classic forum,

Surfing in the german bay i found this rare Zeiss Jena telescope. It looks like a Telementor, but is a reflector. I have never seen one of this. Do any of you know more about it? 

https://www.ebay-kle...353634-242-1973

Thanks for your kind answers

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 12 September 2019 - 02:03 AM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and retroman2 like this

#2 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

Hi Carlos,

Sorry I can't help you with any more information on this scope, but this is an interesting find. I didn't know Zeiss Jena made a small reflector and had no luck searching the net for another one. A few years ago I exchanged emails with someone in Germany selling a 4.5" Zeiss made Newtonian mirror that was intended for the ATM market. I'll do some digging to see if I can find those. 

Regards 

Steve T  

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#3 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

Hi Carlos,

What a great looking scope! I don’t have any info on it but I noticed the secondary mirror looks to be square! My very first telescope from the 70’s was a tiny reflector (40mm aperture) and it also had a square secondary. Perhaps that was normal for small Newts back then?

Cheers

Rick

Edited by bbqediguana, 15 September 2019 - 09:06 AM.

• Corcaroli78 and steve t like this

#4 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Hi Carlos,

Sorry I can't help you with any more information on this scope, but this is an interesting find. I didn't know Zeiss Jena made a small reflector and had no luck searching the net for another one. A few years ago I exchanged emails with someone in Germany selling a 4.5" Zeiss made Newtonian mirror that was intended for the ATM market. I'll do some digging to see if I can find those. 

Regards 

Steve T  

Hi Steve and Rick,

Thanks for you answers,

Certainly is a very interesting design. a rate squared secondary, helical focuser, and unusual right angle finder. I have no clue about it and to me it looks very appealing! Its like a newton Telementor :-)

Hi Carlos,

What a great looking scope! I don’t have any info on it but I noticed the secondary mirror looks to be square! My very first telescope from the 70’s was a tiny reflector (40mm aperture) and it also had a square secondary. Perhaps that was normal for small Newts back then?

Cheers

Rick

I will try to find more info with some Zeiss enthusiasts.

Carlos

• bbqediguana likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, reflector, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics