•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flash near Mintaka in Orion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

My turn to report a Flash.  Just out visually observing Orion.  I have been out numerous times lately between 3-4am when it was lower in the southeast.  This time it was at a really nice place a little higher.   At about 5:10 am I saw what I will call a slow flash of white light about 1* above and to the left of Mintaka.  Wonders never cease. 

• rustynpp likes this

#2 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

Tis the season,

https://www.cloudyni...se-aside-trees/

You may have seen N-Star A glint.....moved to a Geosat graveyard orbit in 2006.

It's 38,000km away!

• Barlowbill likes this

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

I've been struck by sudden glints in that area of the sky. I cannot remember the satellite name, but it was a ChinaSat of some sort very near Sigma Orionis. Eerie series of flashes, one bright enough to almost be seen naked eye, and maybe two dimmer ones. Such views are kind of spooky, in a way...just you and your scope in a dark location and something eerily strange happening. Sometimes it takes a moment of sanity to refrain from thinking it's a UFO. smile.gif

Edited by Asbytec, 18 September 2019 - 09:16 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics