•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding A Handle to the Losmandy G11

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kent Blackwell

Kent Blackwell

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

Like many of us I move my Losmandy G 11 non-GOTO mount around the sky by grabbing the star diagonal. Has anyone come up with a way to add a handle that would make it a bit smoother and easier, not to mention safer if the locking screws of the star diagonal should loosen, thus allowing the diagonal and eyepiece to fall out? I can't seem to find a place to drill or tap the G 11 dovetail saddle.

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

Like many of us I move my Losmandy G 11 non-GOTO mount around the sky by grabbing the star diagonal. Has anyone come up with a way to add a handle that would make it a bit smoother and easier, not to mention safer if the locking screws of the star diagonal should loosen, thus allowing the diagonal and eyepiece to fall out? I can't seem to find a place to drill or tap the G 11 dovetail saddle.

Kent,

Can you show a photo of the saddle etc of where you want to fit the handle . That would help some.

In my opinion it’s not good practice to tug on the diagonal so I’ve built handles for my mounts resulting in smoother handling.

cheers

Graham

#3 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

I tend to move my G11S in RA by the end of the counterweight shaft, if I need to move it very far, and in Dec with the tube where the focuser adapter attaches.

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

I tend to move my G11S in RA by the end of the counterweight shaft, if I need to move it very far, and in Dec with the tube where the focuser adapter attaches.

+1, I push on the back of my OTA...

One thing to keep in mind is the G11 clutches only need to be tight enough to prevent the mount from slipping when it tracks, which isn't very tight at all.  Experiment with how tight you keep your clutches, the looser they are, the smoother your push-to will be.  To paraphrase Mr. Einstein, "Make your clutches as loose as possible, but not looser".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics