•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 150/750 Star Discovery GOTO - Help needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JogiBear

JogiBear

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:36 PM

Hi and thanks for reading this.

I have the opportunity to go to a guy's house on Sunday and check the used Skywatcher 150/750 Star Discovery GOTO scope he is selling. According to him the scope has only been used 3 tines and is basically new. However there is no warranty on the scope so he probably bought it quite some tine ago. Also according to him, it is in mint condition, scratch free.  I managed to haggle down the price before even seeing it to about 50% retail. (220$-ish in my currency.) No additional eyepieces just the regular 10mm and 25mm.

Please help with the following: what are the possible errors and other pitfalls I should watch out for? How can I test the goto system and the electronic parts at daytime? How risky is it to buy a used, probably mostly unused scope with a goto system? I'm not new to astronomy, had a number of smaller scopes already but this is my first time with such an advanced system

All suggestions and opinions are welcome. <3

#2 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

How did it go?  Too late now, but with a star charting program, you can do at least a fake alignment and Go-To and see if it points in roughly the right place!  You could also put a piece of paper with a mark on it right beside the scope, then go-to various objects and back to the original one and see if it lands in the same place as originally marked.  

You could listen for grinding... and you could also see whether you find the sound of the go-to irritating or not.

Or, if you have or it has a Wi-Fi connection, you could test it more closely.

Getting it for half price sounds like a good deal, especially if the person is trustworthy and is into amateur astronomy.  The scope itself would be worth nearly that much.

Plus, even if it didn't work out for you -- having gotten it at half price, you could probably sell for around that and not be out anything!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics