•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Alignment Precision on CEM40 - Think I Found the Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

I have not been completely happy with my goto star alignments with the CEM40. As usual I cannot prove it yet due to the September clouds rolling in but.....there are markings on the saddle which I haven't really paid to much attention with. With the mount c/w shaft pointed ahead of you, the saddle has two hex screws on the left hand side to push/pull the long portion of the saddle grip. I noticed that the bottom was at least one unit off from the upper one.

Being that the mount was shipped with the Vixen configuration, I had no reason to really check the alignment of the saddle, thinking it was done at the factory.

I think this is what's creating a "false" cone error and why the selected alignment star was consistently off. The manual really doesn't give any reason as to what would cause the alignment to be off. I don't know how the other CEM's have the saddle configured, but if it is the same as the CEM40's, I think this is where you should look to check that both ends are in alignment.

IMG_0049_1.jpg     IMG_0050_1.jpg

As you can see, they are both in alignment now.

Comments welcome, and I will report back on this as soon as I get clear skies again.

Hope this helps and if you find yours is out as well, please let me know. 

Edited by RandallK, 12 September 2019 - 07:02 PM.

• mewmartigan likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

Another point.  iOptron's do  a sequential alignment, that is, they also use previous alignments to mix with the current one.  So errors tend to persist.

"Alignment - Clear Alignment Data" lets you start from scratch.

• OldManSky likes this

#3 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:58 AM

Yes I have read this too.

So not to 'confuse' the mount too much  I always now perform first a 'clear alignment data' on my IEQ30 pro. Initialise! Always a good thing with software, that's why  you have t restart your windows pc so oftengrin.gif folks!

On every occasion I have to build it up because it is not permanent mounted so every setup is a little different.

I am still experimenting with it, re-aligned my polar scope last weekend and hopefully can test it this evening on a clear night.. so ;I am not out off the bush yet , but if it works ,it does work...;and the GOTO are exquisite

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics