•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clavius

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainQuasar

CaptainQuasar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

Got my power restored on Dorian Day +5 (went out Saturday). I can only feel for those down in the Bahamas, and parts of the U.S.A. It was rough enough in Nova Scotia when it hit as a category 2.

But after the storm, we did get some clear skies. Here is a sketch of Clavius I did.

Didn't have a functioning clock as my phone died. So not much information on it sadly.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clavius.jpg

• frank5817, IVM, Uwe Pilz and 8 others like this

#2 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

Great sketch!  Wish more people posted their sketches.  Can you imagine how these forums would have looked if we didn't have such great astrophoto gear?  Think about the sketching that went on in the 60's with today's forum posting...

Joe

• CaptainQuasar likes this

#3 4BINNI

4BINNI

Vostok 1

• Loc: Edwards Co. Il.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

Beautiful. Don't worry about the time, when you get to be my age, it does't matter anyway!

#4 astronz59

astronz59

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Ahhh,the last light of Dorian's Day....Great sketch of one of my favorite lunar features! waytogo.gif

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

Captain Q.,

Very nice sketch of crater Clavius. A good way to unwind sketching after the stress caused by that horrible storm.

Frank :)

#6 acr_astro

acr_astro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

Ah great sketch! Thanks for sharing with us!

Achim

#7 CaptainQuasar

CaptainQuasar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone. The picture quality isn't the greatest, took it with my phone.

That's an interesting thought Joe. I imagine that the forums would have been exploding with sketches! Sketching does take a back seat to astrophotography that is for sure.

So I'm going to get on my soapbox here, and feel free to put input and have a discussion, but as a person under the age of 30, who is into astronomy, astrophotography and huge kits were what painted my perception in my teens and only really been observing for a 5 years now.

As a disclaimer, I am not being negative towards to photos. People produce amazing works of art.

But as someone who is still establishing themselves, has limited income, maybe a family in the future. Looking at individuals and their setup for a long time put me off of astronomy. "Can't do it as I can't afford to get into it" was something that played in my head regularly. Then a friend, who has a 70mm refractor showed me the moons of Jupiter, and you could see the cloud bands. Was a complete game changer, I dug into it a bit more and found that people sketched. Now when I go on the road for work, if the weather is favourable, I always setup and do side walk astronomy and sketch with people while I'm there. I try and use sketching as an out reach tool. I am not the greatest drawer by any stretch of the imagination, but I show my logbook and what people can expect to see. It really opens their eyes that you don't need an expensive camera or telescope to enjoy what's up there.

So we as sketchers should be keeping log books, and showing people whenever we are out and there are people coming by. Might build up sketching, but it at the very least, shows that our hobby is accessible for anyone. Just need a pencil, paper, and some patience. 

Anyway, rant over.

Captain Q

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Captain Q.,

Good sketch of Clavius smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics