•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8"LXD55 Meade F/4-what is possible...AP and Viewing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryan1776

Ryan1776

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

I've been very reluctant to ask this question.

I know this is a very loaded question and will probably be met with a lot of, "it depends" and "not enough information" etc. 

lol.gif

I'm very new to this hobby and there's just so much to it that one can get, overwhelmed and will break out the wallet before the brain. 

I'm very interested in both viewing and AP. Planets as well as DSOs. It's all so new to me right now. 

Viewing distant galaxies and nebula would be incredible to me as well. And makes it that much more impressive when friends do come over. 

I really like the William optics 61mm APO doublet and have seen results with that and a modded or even unmodded DSLR and a "minimal" mount. ioptron pro for example. 

But at a grand for all the right components, new pricing, that would get me a used rock solid decent mount and maybe even the ZWO ASlair WIFI module with guide cam. 

All things being equal, light pollution, (bortle 6) mount, guiding, seeing, transparency and so on, can my scope do some of the things that W/O can accomplish? Not all but some? 

I do understand that viewing will be different than actual photographs. Taking hours of data and stacking will render a much better image than the naked eye. 

Conversely, seeing something with my own eye, viewing the light from the source, per se, has its own magical beauty. 
I'd very much like to tap into both of those regions. 

I'd certainly rather get a good mount, figure out guiding and be able to use the scope I have then let it sit because I or someone has deemed it, "not good enough." 

So there, I asked probably the most asked question of a newbie. blush.gif

Be gentle.....lol.gif

Thank you!

Ryan 

#2 Ken Watts

Ken Watts

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sun City, Az

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

All I have learned is a long focal length scope with high magnification for planets, shorter focal length and lower powers for deep sky objects.  As far as cameras and nice mounts, they are beyond my budget so I don't think about them...

Clear skies, good seeing, and good luck in your endeavors.  

Ken W

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics