•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Rotation Problem Only on Wedge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

I have a Nexstar 8SE (10 months old) and a new Wedge.  When mounted on the wedge set for 33.5 latitude (56.5 deg tilt), the mount will only rotate about 240 degrees. When I put it flat on the ground or on the tripod without the wedge, it goes round and round with no issue.  I've checked and cleared the cord wrap setting but I would expect it would give the same result when flat even if the cord wrap stop was enabled...and it wouldn't be a 120 deg gap.  Also, the motor sounds like it is straining when on the wedge but sounds OK when flat.

Do I need to send it in for warranty repair?  Or is this expected?  Perhaps I missed a setting somewhere.

Thoughts?  

To clarify, the scope can move in the 'Green' area only.  It points a little to the left at the top and will point to the ground and a little past.  It will not enter the 'Red' area.  

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• Limited Rotation.JPG

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

Make sure none of your three base screws used on the wedge are too long. I assume you are using the three captured bolts  on top of the tripod when using it flat.

#3 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

UPDATE: On the wedge, it stopped moving altogether, then the scope fell (rotated) to the bottom; the gears failed to hold it.  I called Celestron and they had me power up and try to move left & right with it flat on the floor.  It was jittery, moved a little, then stopped, then moved, etc...

It's now boxed up and ready to send in to repair.  Hopefully I will not take too long.

Thanks,

Dave

#4 SkipW

SkipW

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

Maybe the initial problem is a balance issue?

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

Sounds like the big gear on the azimuth was not actually attached to the base.  I recall one incident several years ago where the factory forgot to install the screws that hold that gear in place.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#6 speedster

speedster

Vostok 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:44 PM

The captive bolts in the wedge, the ones that screw into the SE base, are about 1/16" too long and limit RA travel.  This seems pretty well known but Celestron seems silent on it.  They need to fix the problem but don't even offer a warning to new buyers.  You can split a stiff fiber washer and slip it over the bolt and the problem will go away.  Sorry it happened to you.

#7 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:30 AM

If it is an issue with the 3 mounting bolts contacting the gear the problem is not with your Celestron mount. When you modify the mount configuration you're responsible for the results. I'm not sure if your mount has brass or plastic (nylon) spur gears but it is quite possible that these took the brunt of the damage. This issue has been documented many times on this forum.

Grey

#8 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone.  I don't think it is an issue with the bolts, the issue was happening when the mount was sitting on the floor.  Perhaps the bolts caused it initially.  In any case, it has been sent in to Celestron for repair.

Thanks for all the input.  When I get it back, I will add some washers if I mount it on the wedge again....to be honest, I'm thinking of getting a new mount for AP (beginner AP).  And will not use the wedge at all.  I'll keep the stock Alt/Az mount for visual & star parties.

Dave

• GoFish likes this

#9 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

UPDATE:

Celestron Tech Support has been AWESOME!

I called them on 9/12 in the afternoon, they diagnosed and provided an RMA; I dropped it off at UPS that evening.

They emailed me to let me know they received on 9/13, Friday.

Today, 9/16, ONE business day later, I received an email saying they've replaced the AZM motor, flashed the firmware, tested it, made adjustments, tested again (all functions) and will be sending it back shortly.

I realize that other repairs may take longer depending on what is wrong but I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed.

I love how they were in constant communication on the status of my repair and by the sheer speed it was done.

I probably should have waited until I received it to post but I was so surprised that I had to share.

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics