•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I know I'm a beginner because....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 montejw360

montejw360

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

I bought stuff online, it was delivered, and I don't know what I bought it for. I have to research it again to figure out what the stuff is used for.

crazy.gif

• desertstars, kingjamez, SeattleScott and 5 others like this

#2 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

Tell use what you bought. We'll fill you in!  waytogo.gif

• Jon Isaacs and bumm like this

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

Welcome to the club.flowerred.gif

• kingjamez likes this

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

ADA disease :   Amazon delivery addiction  lol.gif

• BFaucett, wrvond and Ryan1776 like this

#5 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:36 PM

What time in the morning was this?

#6 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:39 PM

I understand I'm also a beginner because I am using low budget 2nd hand finds and am impressed with my views.

I have actualy never looked though a higher priced desirable scope, so have no clue what I'm missing. I have to admight that I'm having fun with what I got available. I'm using this moment in time as a learning experiance before I decide if I will ever get more serious in the hobby. or just continue down the same path I have been on: (A path consisting of cheap purchases, 2nd hand opportunistic finds, and "DIY" refurbishes).

I joined this site less than a year ago with absolutely no knowledge at all, and have progressed to the point that I now have a very general understanding, but I have a long way to go as I still have lots of basic questions I have yet to figure out.

On a scale of 1-10, Id like to think I might now be a 2. That might be a stretch, but I'm giiving myself this rating just because in the general population I know there are alot of people who might be just as confused as I was when I first started out. If I had to rate my knowledge proportional to the members on this website. my rating would be much lower. (Some of the members here have have a lifetime of experiances, and I have been at it for less than a year). It seems with every little bit of knowledge I acquire, there also comes a growing understanding of how little I actually know and comprehend.

Sometimes this new found hobby has me feeling like a kid in a candy store. I'm not sure what I want, but once I pick something out most of what is purchased feels good.

Edited by Mbinoc, 12 September 2019 - 11:36 PM.

• clearwaterdave, Sketcher and montejw360 like this

#7 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:29 AM

I also made mistakes along the way.

1. Edu Science 70mm scope, 5$ goodwill purchase. It blows, Not a big deal. This one is a loss.

2. A assortment of cheap color filters, cool to have but not often used. I have since spent just a tad more on others with specific purposes, and they do get used.

3. A cheap 40mm plossl eyepiece. It works fine, but after I got a 32mm plossl, that one just works better.

I'm sure I will make more, and may have allready done so without yet realising it.

Edited by Mbinoc, 13 September 2019 - 12:31 AM.

#8 Apollo69s

Apollo69s

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Cause you collect as much  information you can,,to try to avoid any mistakes on your way to be almost a pro.

#9 Sketcher

Sketcher

Apollo

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:01 PM

Cause you collect as much  information you can,,to try to avoid any mistakes on your way to be almost a pro.

For some of us, the information collecting never ends -- at least not until we stop buying new stuff.

On the other hand, with time and experience, the information collecting becomes quicker and easier while the information collected becomes more accurate, and more relevant.

#10 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

I bought stuff online, it was delivered, and I don't know what I bought it for. I have to research it again to figure out what the stuff is used for.

crazy.gif

Looks like he also may be wondering why he joined and asked this very open ended question and is ignoring all the generous offers of help. Oh Well, Time to move on.

Grey

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics