•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did I buy too much flocking paper for 80mm F5?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

I believe the answer is yes.. I accidentally bought too much flocking material during my late night online shopping spree. Oh well Christmas is just around the corner, looks like people will have some rather uniquely wrapped presents under the tree....if they can find them :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 7.14.58 PM.png

• eros312, Jim1804, Agatha and 2 others like this

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

It appears that way.

Frank

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:38 PM

Useful to have some extra flock paper around...

• deepwoods1 and Joe1950 like this

#4 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: Direct flight path of DTW

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

Or you can flock mine. Haven't gotten that far yet. Where's the least expensive place to buy some?

Jim

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:17 PM

Related Anecdote:

We desperately needed to have one of the optics labs at work blackened around the Newport Tables, where we were doing some radiometry stuff. The Facilities guys quoted some exorbitant cost to paint the entire lab black, and would have completely upset out timely experiments for over a week.

Instead, I ordered six full Bolts of Black Velvet from JoAnn's Fabrics (42 inches wide by 40-yards long, each!) and several gross of super strong magnets from a surplus supplier. It took the optical techs just one day to cover the (steel) walls with that material, and we were back to doing our experiments! I fondly recall that the lady at JoAnn's was delighted to field our $4,800 order, saying that she would have the 240 yards rush-shipped "from the warehouse!" We got away with doing that, because the wall treatment was "temporary", being that it was held on with magnets! Ahhh... the pleasures of ~working around the system~. We did a lot of that kinda shenanigans --- always to get the job done.   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 77 black velvet.jpg

• BFaucett and ngc7319_20 like this

#6 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:36 PM

It cost more to ship it than to buy it...it wasn't even $20 USD....so perhaps something got mixed up. Shipping to Canada is always costly so I didn't bat an eye but maybe someone in the warehouse assumed I ordered a large sheet.

I'm sure my friends will use some or I'll just put a sign around my neck at the next star party, something like "will flock your refractor for beer" should suffice.

Still waiting on the 2-inch focuser, 

• stevew and BFaucett like this

#7 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

I believe the answer is yes.. I accidentally bought too much flocking material during my late night online shopping spree. Oh well Christmas is just around the corner, looks like people will have some rather uniquely wrapped presents under the tree....if they can find them smile.gif

Just buy more telescopes to flock!

• BFaucett and Joe1950 like this

#8 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

I order flocking paper from EO. Very good stuff. Comes with adhesive backing and without. You get plenty.

First time shipping was something like $10.  I was appalled. Their business is about 15 minutes from me. Second time I called and asked if I could come over and pick it up?  Sure, just come to the lobby.

Why give UPS $10. I need it more than they do.

#9 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

lol.gif

• Joe1950 likes this

#10 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Suburbs of Reading PA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

I got the same thing going on.  I bought way too much.  I've flocked a couple scopes and still have most of it left.  The cardboard packing is good for keeping my rabbit away from my scopes though.  :D

• Joe1950 likes this

#11 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:52 AM

Good to have around anyway. Probably last if kept opinion the box, maybe closed up with the blue painters tape.

EO makes really good optics but they aren’t cheap. It’s at the same location as their former Edmund Scientific Outlet Store And Factory.  Spent a lot of time, and money there in the 60s and 70s.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics