•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Urinary problems in my pug detected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:23 PM

So my little pug has already had 3 surgeries to remove bladders stones.

First she developed struvite stones because her urine was too alkaline and she was also getting UTI's.  We had those stones removed, and then it happened again. So we put her on a special diet, started bringing her in twice a month for urinalysis to watch for UTI's, and surprise stones again for a third time and another surgery.   That's $7000+ in vet bills already btw with those surgeries and all those repeated tests.

We really do not want and cannot really afford to do another surgery so I need to stop those stones from growing since we can't dissolve them.

We found that this time her urine was too acidic and we suspect the new stones are calcium oxalate because thats what forms in acidic urine.

The root cause is having her spayed too early...and she does not drink enough water. She has lots of bacteria in the lady parts because of the folds and what not. The only real solution is constant baths, trying to make her drink, monitoring PH, and monitoring for UTI's.

So I finally came to the conclusion that I really need to check her urine EVERY DAY.  The only way I can afford that is to do it myself.

Thanks youtube, it's not hard to learn.

Sure enough after a week of checking daily, I spotted yeast... but no bacteria. The next day the urine was flooded with bacteria... but the vet was closed.

So on Monday I checked again already planning to call the vet and there were tons of calcium phosphate crystals, yeast, and bacteria.

I delivered the sample to the vet and he agreed she needed antibiotics right away.

I've also been monitoring PH and adjusting her supplements to keep it at 7.

So I went from a month to discover a UTI and paying many dollars for urinalysis twice a month to daily checks at no cost to me, with just  few simple tools.

This will save me a ton of money and my pug will live longer hopefully.

I checked today now that she has been on antibiotics and I saw no bacteria or yeast... but I also sort of screwed up my sample so I'll test again in the morning.

YEAST (WHITE STRANDS OF BALLS), BACTERIA (TINY BLACK LINES) AND WHITE BLOOD CELLS (LARGE ROUND OBJECTS)

SMALLER WHITE ROUND OBJECTS ARE JUST BUBBLES - AmScope B120C - 1000x

IMG-0454.jpg

YEAST, BACTERIA, AND CRYSTALS - American Optics Microscope - 400x

IMG-0462.jpg

LOTS OF CRYSTALS - 400x

IMG-0465.jpg

40x

IMG-0466.jpg

Full-Size-Render.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 12 September 2019 - 11:28 PM.

• csa/montana, Hugh Peck, areyoukiddingme and 1 other like this

#2 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:33 PM

Now,  THAT'S what I call putting observing to good use!  Man, using your skills to do this for your baby is awesome.  Love to follow this thread and see how it goes!!

Joe

• csa/montana likes this

#3 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:39 PM

Now,  THAT'S what I call putting observing to good use!  Man, using your skills to do this for your baby is awesome.  Love to follow this thread and see how it goes!!

Joe

Yeah pretty cool considering just a few weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about microscopes or urine!

My mom had a heart transplant a couple years ago, so next I'll be looking at her urine occasionally to check on her kidneys.

Edited by Tom Stock, 12 September 2019 - 11:40 PM.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:49 PM

Well... that's sad! Guess I'm glad our pugster is a male... Good luck with yours.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 80 Jay pug mix breed.jpg

#5 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:04 AM

Well... that's sad! Guess I'm glad our pugster is a male... Good luck with yours.    Tom

Yeah well if you ever do get a female don't make the mistake we made and have her fixed too early. You will pay the price!

Cute pups

#6 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

Get yourself a copy of "The Nature of Animal Healing" by Martin Goldstein D.V.M.

https://www.ebay.com...cat=267&_sop=15

https://www.petmd.co...t-you-need-know

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 13 September 2019 - 12:17 AM.

#7 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:53 AM

Get yourself a copy of "The Nature of Animal Healing" by Martin Goldstein D.V.M.

https://www.ebay.com...cat=267&_sop=15

https://www.petmd.co...t-you-need-know

Stan

Thanks Stan I'll check this out.

#8 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

IMG-0642.jpg

Struvite Crystals and lots of white blood cells - AmScope B120C (holding phone up to eyepiece)

Edited by Tom Stock, 13 September 2019 - 09:56 AM.

#9 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

Years ago I had a female Akita, that I brought home from the local animal shelter.

I noticed right away that she had a UTI.

The book said to give her Vitamin C according to her weight.

I put powdered Vitamin C in her canned dog food & she was better in no time flat.

https://www.reviews.com/vitamin-c/

Probiotics are necessary because antibiotics will wipe out friendly bacteria.

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 13 September 2019 - 02:28 PM.

• Tom Stock likes this

#10 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

Years ago I had a female Akita, that I brought home from the local animal shelter.

I noticed right away that she had a UTI.

The book said to give her Vitamin C according to her weight.

I put powdered Vitamin C in her canned dog food & she was better in no time flat.

https://www.reviews.com/vitamin-c/

Probiotics are necessary because antibiotics will wipe out friendly bacteria.

Stan

Makes sense, I've learned that the vitamin C acidifies the urine.

I give pug a prescription med (which now that you mentioned it is probably a large overpriced dose of vitamin C) if her urine PH is alkaline.

If it's too acidic you get calcium oxalate crystals and if it's alkaline you get struvite crystals. Both can lead to bladder stones.

Edited by Tom Stock, 18 September 2019 - 11:34 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics