•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter through barlow not good after stacking

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

Inhave a celestron edge hd 8" act. Cgem ii mount. 2 star alignment. 4 calibration stars. Polar alignment. Saturnbthrough barlow came out pretty good. Not great. But Jupiter did not change at all when stacking with autostakkert. Processes 15 percent of 3300 avi. Then when uploading the tiff file in registax 6 the wavelet and rgb alignment did nothing at all. Still blurry and no color. In autostakkert I did force rgb color
Any help would be great
Thanks

#2 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

Do you have any images to post here?

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

Probably a better fit for Solar System Imaging, but two thoughts.  I recall seeing a post regarding the settings needed to acquire color images properly (something to do with the video codec / format), and also a note that Jupiter spins very quickly, so the maximum length of a video is something like 90 seconds to 2 minutes before the features get smeared.

#4 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

I'll try to get an image uploaded

#5 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:43 PM

here are both pics after stacking and processing the exact way. both taken about 3 min apart

Attached Thumbnails

• jupitar_g4_ap232.jpg
  • saturn2x.jpg

#6 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:00 PM

How confident are you that you had focus spot on? One potential explanation ...
  • PatrickVt and OldManSky like this

#7 JonH

JonH

Messenger

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

I have had similar results with my 7 inch mak. I think a lot of it comes down to seeing. The same scope and camera could produce radically different levels of detail in videos shot just minutes apart. A Barlow tended to accentuate this.
  • gfstallin likes this

#8 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:46 PM

I've seen the stacked and aligned images actually look significantly worse than my best frames after processing in either Registax or Autostakkert. This happens to me about 1-in-4 nights. Maybe even more, as I will image even when I am fairly certain seeing is going to be bad. At this point in my experience, I know when that stacked image is going to look bad during the capture itself, way before I begin processing. It happens when seeing is so atrocious, I can't really tell where best focus is. At these times, even focusing with a Bahtinov mask on a nearby star - already a bad sign when I have to pull a Bahtinov mask out to get anywhere close to focus - is useless. Did Jupiter look like this on your computer screen during most of the capture, with perhaps only a few moments of good frames? 

At least for those of us in the northern hemisphere, Jupiter is already relatively low in the sky by the time it is dark enough for you to have completed star and polar alignment. It is quite possible you are imaging Jupiter through relative muck. Saturn is about two hours "behind" Jupiter, and by the time it is dark, it is at its highest point in the sky. This makes it more likely you would capture more decent frames, at least enough to create a good stacked and processed image as you present here. 

Of course, there are a myriad of other reasons why this could have happened. Tube currents, poor focus, a change in seeing at a rather inopportune time, maybe even something wrong with the file. For me, it is typically poor seeing. These programs cannot get water from a stone, or in these cases, a decent stacked image from 10 good frames. If you swing for the fences like I do and image at every opportunity you get, no matter the seeing forecast, you are bound to see this happen often. 

George

• JonH likes this

#9 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

I have had similar results with my 7 inch mak. I think a lot of it comes down to seeing. The same scope and camera could produce radically different levels of detail in videos shot just minutes apart. A Barlow tended to accentuate this.

waytogo.gif +1

• JonH likes this

#10 JonH

JonH

Messenger

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:51 PM

This thread shows exactly what Gfstallin is talking about. Hope this helps.

clear, still skies

jon

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:50 AM

...the (almost) mono images makes me suspect that it is much more likely to be a FireCapture setting error, particularly when you state that you used "Force rgb" in AS!3. ;)

#12 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:05 AM

I live on the outskirts of a small town. I do not get many dark skies. I never do get a clear picture on my pc it's always blurry. I just focus it as clean as possible. When I took the avi of saturn I could barely even see saturn on my pc or was very faint. I do understand the seeing part as Jupiter is pretty low by the time it gets dark. I will have to continue to practice. Thanks for all the information

#13 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

looks better tonight. any ideas what I could do to make it better. I used sharpcap, raw 16 1300 frames, 80% exposure. 2.5x barlow. stacked with regisstax. added align points, wavelet 80% best frames stacked. then adjusted gama, rgb align, rgb balance, then sharpened the first line in wavelet filters, denoised .3. sharpened .105

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• jupitar3.jpg

#14 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

Inhave a celestron edge hd 8" act. Cgem ii mount. 2 star alignment. 4 calibration stars. Polar alignment. Saturnbthrough barlow came out pretty good. Not great. But Jupiter did not change at all when stacking with autostakkert. Processes 15 percent of 3300 avi. Then when uploading the tiff file in registax 6 the wavelet and rgb alignment did nothing at all. Still blurry and no color. In autostakkert I did force rgb color
Any help would be great
Thanks

Largely irrelevant - what about the effective f-ratio and the cam?

Did you record in raw and then use AS!3 for "debayering"?   There's a lot of nonsense higher up in this thread, after the original post. Ignore the majority of that.

What did you do differently from night to night in your capturing regime?  A total stack of 450 frames isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid. Signal to noise ratio isn't nearly big enough.

#15 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:02 AM

The camera I'm using is a zwo asi120mc-s. I believe my scope has a focal ratio of f10. What I did different was use raw 16 instead of raw 8. The first one exposure was at 35% this time exposure was at 80% and this time I took 1300 frames. I tried 3500 frames and when I upload into registax I get a total white screen. Maybe it froze because avi was to big.

#16 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

I do not know what debayering is. I will have to research this. Sounds like I am missing a step. Thanks

#17 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

Ok now I understand debayering. No I did not force any rgb on this one. I did not use autostakkert just registax6

#18 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:33 AM

Ok now I understand debayering. No I did not force any rgb on this one. I did not use autostakkert just registax6

Use AutoStakkert. Nobody uses Registax for stacking.

• DMach likes this

#19 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted Yesterday, 05:26 AM

Use AutoStakkert. Nobody uses Registax for stacking.

+1 on this ... AutoStakkert does a much better job for stacking. Use RegiStax for the sharpening/wavelets after stacking in AutoStakkert.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics