•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C102F Optical Configuration OUESTION

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:28 PM

OK APO refractor experts - need your help.  Just reacquired a long lost love - a nice Celestron C102F (Fluorite)  refractor OTA from a fellow CN's member (thank you Scott).  While I had one of these in the late 90's / early 2000's - I made a mistake and sold it (had cateracts but got them 'fixed' and am finally after all these years replacing my scope).   And while reacquainting myself with the scope's "specs" today - I can't seem to find a internet link I had that showed the lens configuration.....ie. where is the fluorite element???  I believe it's the INNER element and not the field lens but honestly can't remember.

Can someone help me out here???  (finding this link that had a diagram of the lens layout along with a narrative regarding the Vixen lens, who made it, etc.).   If memory serves it was Canon that made these lenses for Vixen or a sub-contactor of Vixen???

Also - where the name "Vixen" came from - one website said it was one of Santa's reindeer???   

Thanks soooo much gents (and ladies) ....

Clear skies - M11Mike     

#2 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

The fluorite lens is the inner element. Enjoy.

#3 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

Congratulations on acquiring one of the finest visual refractors ever made. And I don't have to suggest you get a Tak! smile.gif

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

It is a  Steinheil doublet design with fluorite element in the rear. And like the Takahashi FC scopes of the same day the fluorite element is uncoated.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics