•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn 13th September- Scary good seeing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

Its Friday 13th. The seeing jokes will continue. Its been great end of a planetary season. Well until I get tempted to do it again.

A little under an hour. 5 minute videos each derotated

I hope you all like

Celestron 9.25+ 3X barlow+ ADC + ADC224MC

gallery_218407_320_38496.jpg

• zjc26138, Sunspot, bill w and 28 others like this

#2 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

Spectacular Saturn image! It gives me hope that sometime if I'm blessed with great seeing, something similar could result with my own SCT. Of course my latitude is always N43°. A planet's elevation will be affected by that. Still excellent seeing can even conquer low elevation.

But for now, thanks for sharing your excellent results. Seeing like that is surprising, but not really scary, at least for me.

All the Best,

Russ

• gfstallin likes this

#3 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

lol. It was a Friday 13th joke. :-P

• mdowns likes this

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

Are you confusing today with April 1st,  or did Friday 13th get it's own thing ?  lol.gif

#5 rachnoman

rachnoman

Sputnik

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

Very very nice showing the hex polar cap beautifully.

#6 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

Spectacular Saturn image! It gives me hope that sometime if I'm blessed with great seeing, something similar could result with my own SCT. Of course my latitude is always N43°. A planet's elevation will be affected by that. Still excellent seeing can even conquer low elevation.

But for now, thanks for sharing your excellent results. Seeing like that is surprising, but not really scary, at least for me.

All the Best,

Russ

Rustler, keep your scopes handy for the late 2020s, and orbital mechanics will be kinder to those of us in more temperate latitudes for Saturn. We'll be in for a real treat. smile.gif

Until then, we'll just have to salivate over the seeing conditions and planetary elevations others experience, or convince our better halves, significant others, and/or banks we need to take a trip with 150 lbs. of necessary equipment to Wargrafix's front yard. lol.gif

I asked my wife if she wanted to go to Barbados. She was excited for a good 15 seconds before asking "wait, is this for telescope stuff?"

I also mentioned possibly moving to Australia as well, but she detected the astronomy angle on that immediately.

"If you're so interested in Australia beyond astronomy, who is the prime minister?"

"Paul Irwin." 

"Did you just combine the names of the Crocodile Dundee actor and Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter?"
"Not on purpose."

George

• happylimpet, Rustler46, Tulloch and 1 other like this

#7 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:02 PM

Rustler, keep your scopes handy for the late 2020s, and orbital mechanics will be kinder to those of us in more temperate latitudes for Saturn. We'll be in for a real treat. smile.gif

Until then, we'll just have to salivate over the seeing conditions and planetary elevations others experience, or convince our better halves, significant others, and/or banks we need to take a trip with 150 lbs. of necessary equipment to Wargrafix's front yard. lol.gif

I asked my wife if she wanted to go to Barbados. She was excited for a good 15 seconds before asking "wait, is this for telescope stuff?"
I also mentioned possibly moving to Australia as well, but she detected the astronomy angle on that immediately.
"If you're so interested in Australia beyond astronomy, who is the prime minister?"
"Paul Irwin."
"Did you just combine the names of the Crocodile Dundee actor and Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter?"
"Not on purpose."

George

All jokes aside....I do image from my front yard.....lol
  • gfstallin likes this

#8 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

Rustler, keep your scopes handy for the late 2020s, and orbital mechanics will be kinder to those of us in more temperate latitudes for Saturn. We'll be in for a real treat. smile.gif

Until then, we'll just have to salivate over the seeing conditions and planetary elevations others experience, or convince our better halves, significant others, and/or banks we need to take a trip with 150 lbs. of necessary equipment to Wargrafix's front yard. lol.gif

"Paul Irwin." 

"Not on purpose."

George

Heh heh - next time you have that discussion, let her know that Australia's PM is Scott Morrison. For now. Just wait a few months, we'll have someone else lol.gif .

Lots of other stuff to see here, head up to the Great Barrier Reef and do some scuba/snorkeling before it disappears. Something for everyone smile.gif .

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 13 September 2019 - 07:15 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#9 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:48 PM

Now that's an eye-catching subject line ... an image to match! Congrats :)
  • wargrafix likes this

#10 yock1960

yock1960

Aurora

• Loc: (Crossroad of clouds) Ohio, USA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:43 AM

Nice. Don't be afraid! grin.gif

Steve 

• wargrafix likes this

#11 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

This has been a year of learning. Everyone helped in pushing me to be a better imager.

I am doing my best to train a new generation

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics