•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Powered USB hub?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

I am looking to clean things up a bit rig wise and was wondering if anyone can provide some recommendations for a powered hub for camera, guide camera, focuser, polemaster? I was looking at the Kendrick one but would like one that doesn’t need its own power source if possible.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

If you are going to run all those items you definitely want a hub with its own power. Your computer won't be able to supply enough through the USB cable.

• Swanny likes this

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, if you really want to get rid of any possible future problems, go with the powered (I've had QHY cameras that wouldn't work unless it was a powered hub...and they have their own power supply!). I'm partial (have four) to the Startech ones (4 or 7):

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never had a hiccup, and one has been going strong for almost 8 years.

Paul

• Swanny likes this

#4 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

I used the startech ones for several years but starting having connection issues.  I have switched all my rigs to Icron rangers now and they are rock solid.  Plus can run them any length I need with no issues.

Dean

• Swanny likes this

#5 Rovert9988

Rovert9988

Vostok 1

• Loc: WA State

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

I use a Star Tech powered USB 3.0 hub, and then pair it with a powered USB 3.0 extension cable. Been using it for a while and have an Atlas, ZWO 1600 pro with filter wheel, and ZWO 385 running up to 10m, away without any issues. For what it's worth my company uses some Star Tech hubs in a rough environment as well and have found they hold up well.

• psandelle and Swanny like this

#6 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Those Rangers.....I could get a Primaluce Eagle for that!
  • psandelle likes this

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

The Primaluce Eagle cost 1000 USD I think? I also use the same brand of 12 volt hubs and have had three of them for at least 4 years with no problems. Before I had them I went through a couple of cheaper alternative hubs. Many people, though, find that any old hub does the trick. I did not.

Rgrds-Ross

#8 mlrtime99

mlrtime99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

I'm a fan of anything 12v powered - https://www.amazon.c...774801667&psc=1

#9 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:39 PM

The Primaluce Eagle cost 1000 USD I think? I also use the same brand of 12 volt hubs and have had three of them for at least 4 years with no problems. Before I had them I went through a couple of cheaper alternative hubs. Many people, though, find that any old hub does the trick. I did not.
Rgrds-Ross

You use the Icron or Primaluce?

#10 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:26 PM

That was an obscure response.

Here's my situation.

First, I do not use the Icron rangers. I think that they are vastly over priced for what they do, but used to be the only game in town for some use cases. I am sure that they will work just fine.

When I am going less than 15 feet I use Startech USB3 12 volt powered hubs. I've never had a problem with any of the three that I own. I am also careful to buy 28/24 USB 2 cables.

When I need to go longer I use AVAccess USB Extenders

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,193&sr=8-3.

I have two of these in current operation. One has survived two winters in New Mexico at 8000 down into the 20's without a hitch. They are USB 2 so inappropriate if you need USB 3. I've had these two for about 4 years now. They use ethernet (really UTP) cables. I've never run a pair more than 50 feet.

I never use USB extenders. These do work in some simple configurations but become unreliable if there are too many other hubs or if there is any RF in the vicinity. They are, though cheap. Might be a good thing to try.

Rgrds-Ross 

#11 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I have ordered a couple Startechs as I am going less than 15 feet.
  • psandelle likes this

#12 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:50 AM

One less thing to worry about. Now it's just cables and glitchy camera drivers! grin.gif

Paul

• Swanny likes this

#13 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

I just have this Jcreate 3.0 hub running mount, camera, focuser. Haven't had a single problem with it.

https://www.bestbuy....wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#14 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

The first hub that I used was a plastic 29 dollar powered Sony hub that I had bought in probably 2004. Even that hub was a huge improvement over trying to connect a bunch of cables. It actually lasted for about 2 years and then did not fail. It fell and broke apart.  So, I bought a slightly better hub (still AC powered). That one lasted 6 months and then failed. After that I went out and drained the bank account to get the Startech. Then I got a second mount (and needed another Startech). Finally, I bought into a group running a 25" RC that had connection problems. I bought the 3rd Startech.

I wish I knew why cheap hubs work for some and not for others. I just don't know why. Sometimes I think that the real issue with hubs is the USB topology of the computers that they are connected two. I do know that it's easy to have multiple more or less unseen hubs in your overall setup. I do know that some laptops have really only 1 hub in them no matter how many ports they have. 

An unpowered hub is fine if none of your devices need much power. The Startech I use on my Paramount has attached to it power to run 4 different devices - the EFA that comes with my Planewave Telescope, The ZWO mini guide camera, the main ZWO camera, and the controller for my dew heaters. So, I need a hub (in theory) that can supply 2 amps of current if necessary. (The USB spec is 500 ma if memory serves.) If I just had one or two devices, my bet is that pretty much any hub would work.

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#15 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

I would need power for the 4 items. The Nitecrawler takes a bit of energy I suspect compared to the say the Polemaster and ZWO guide camera... But distance will always be to the table by the mount which is less than 15 feet. I will have 4 items on it too and want to be sure there is enough for all devices. And also (mainly) I want to clean it up cable-wise. Tired of playing the dance while slewing/flipping.

#16 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

I'm a fan of anything 12v powered - https://www.amazon.c...774801667&psc=1

Me too.  I use a similar one, but it also has 3 "power only" USB ports, which I use for my dew heater strap :)

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using this for a year, with no problems.  I do have it under a cover so it doesn't get soaking wet in the dew...

#17 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

I upgraded to this StarTech. So far so good.  Powered USB3.0

Edited by mewmartigan, 14 September 2019 - 01:41 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#18 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback, experiences, and recommendations. This is what makes the CN community fun!
  • psandelle likes this

#19 stryker66

stryker66

Vostok 1

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

If you are going to run all those items you definitely want a hub with its own power. Your computer won't be able to supply enough through the USB cable.

This is not true for me, I have 3x ASI1600mm Cooled, 1 Lodestar X2, CGX mount, Focus Lynx Hub and two EFW connected at the same time to a 16ft USB3 cable and the only power is on my laptop.. I have macbook bootcamped for windows10

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics