•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to balance AT72EDii w/ heavy camera

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

I have an AT72EDii that I would like to use with an ASI071mc with an EAF mounted on the focuser. 

How do I get this setup to balance in DEC? Its so rear heavy that I cant get it moved forward enough without the focuser body hitting the mount (EQ6-R Pro)

• durak likes this

#2 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

I use ankle/wrist weights (velcro on, filled with lead shot) on the front end of mine. A longer dovetail so you can move it forward more might help as well, but tends to get in the way of a filter wheel.

#3 bridgman

bridgman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:44 PM

Two more options:

#1 - rotate the scope 180 degrees so the focuser knobs are at the top rather than the bottom (looks ugly but works fine)

#2 - pick up a set of riser blocks or equivalent spacers (even chunks of hardwood) - my AT72EDII sits on a set of Stellarvue riser blocks on a Losmandy dovetail.

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

With a longer dove tail bar you can add one of these ADM counterweights up front.

https://tinyurl.com/y6m8c993

• Gary Z likes this

#5 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

With a longer dove tail bar you can add one of these ADM counterweights up front.

That's exactly what I did for my AT72ed and ASI294 camera, on my IEQ45 Pro:   Used a 14" bar.

Gary

#6 bridgman

bridgman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

That's handy... didn't know about those.

Before I got the riser blocks I did something similar though, mounting a guide camera hanging down from the front of the dovetail. That helped with balance, although I didn't play with it long enough to be sure it wouldn't hit the mount at some point. The counterweight looks to be smaller (and a lot tougher) than a guide camera though.

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:05 AM

Honestly speaking, i think the best solution is either buying another dovetail longer so you can push the system further for better balancing, or buy side by side dovetail bar and put your heavy system in one side and use the other for something else such as guiding scope and camera and balance the bar side by side itself.

I remember i was using very small dovetail under my ST80 with my QHY163M and i always have issues, once i bought longer dovetail the issues is gone, but i no longer use that ST80 for imaging, but i put it in that one side of side-by-side dovetail and it is almost balancing fine with my Canon 300mm lens on the other side.

#8 georgian82

georgian82

Messenger

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

I bought the 2” version of these and work great:

https://www.admacces...d-riser-blocks/

They are super light and sturdy. The only thing is that they come with the necessary screws but you can solve that with a quick run to the hardware store.

I initially bought the Stellarvue 2.5” raiser blocks (which I still have but will put them up for sale soon) and they are really well made but they are a bit heavy for my system so I settled for the ADM ones to save weight.

Hope this helps

#9 johrich

johrich

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

Here was my solution.  AT72EDII with an ASI183MC-PRO. A longer dovetail and spacers so the focusing lock screw clears.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190608_172121-768x1024.jpg

#10 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:16 PM

I bought the 2” version of these and work great:

https://www.admacces...d-riser-blocks/

They are super light and sturdy. The only thing is that they come with the necessary screws but you can solve that with a quick run to the hardware store.

I initially bought the Stellarvue 2.5” raiser blocks (which I still have but will put them up for sale soon) and they are really well made but they are a bit heavy for my system so I settled for the ADM ones to save weight.

Hope this helps

Those look perfect, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics