•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Plastic Rod for encoder shaft

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

I am looking for some sort of material other than wood or metal that I can turn on a lathe.  Ideally, it should be 1.25 inches in diameter, 4 inches long, able to be turned on a lathe using wood tools and capable of being drilled and tapped.  Perhaps Delrin would work.  I have never worked with it before.  Any suggestions and sources of supply would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

I am looking for some sort of material other than wood or metal that I can turn on a lathe.  Ideally, it should be 1.25 inches in diameter, 4 inches long, able to be turned on a lathe using wood tools and capable of being drilled and tapped.  Perhaps Delrin would work.  I have never worked with it before.  Any suggestions and sources of supply would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Acetal (Delrin) or UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) will do the job, both can be drilled and tapped but you would need to use a very small lathe tool, especially for the acetal.... hasten slowly !!!

Can you find someone with a metal lathe???

Edited by Kunama, 13 September 2019 - 10:24 PM.

#3 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

Thanks

Tim

Amazon is actually pretty useful these days for little pieces, but there's a company called www.plastiblocks.com who do some nice bundles of ABS rod

#4 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central, Greece

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

Any one using lathe for metal work he has also Acetal (Delrin) Rod for samples and testing.

Rods are sold in fixed length, you better ask for a favor (sample rod purchase) from a small factory or a shop producer of metal parts.

Woodwork lathe this is not accurate enough for fine work.

Edited by Kiriakos_GR, 14 September 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#5 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:25 PM

Thanks everyone. I found a guy with a small metal lathe who will do the job just to be helpful. I will get him some delrin to turn. 

Tim'

• Kunama likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics