•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full Moon – 60mm Tasco & Canon 350D

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

Full Moon – 10:00pm EDT 9/13/2019
Telescope: 60mm Tasco Luminova @ f/11.7 (700mm)
Camera: Stock Canon 350D, no filter
Exposure: 20x1/500sec ISO 800 saved as RAW
Darks: Internal (Long Exposure Noise Reduction On)
Shutter: Manual remote switch using the mirror lock up & a 5-second delay
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Nebulosity, Registax, Photoshop

Moon (9-13-2019)-1j.jpg

I’m getting ready to start a series of test images using my original Canon 350D as part of my back-to-basics series and I decided to start with the full moon. It has been a long time since I have used this camera and it will be fun revisiting my old friend with all that I have learned since the last time I’ve used it. As a bonus, I really like using my trusty old Tasco on its original wibbly wobbly mount! :) I was really happy with this image set; it only took a couple of tries to get the focus and exposure set. If you look closely you can see the slender terminator sweeping over the moon’s north pole, indicating that the moon is passing south if the Earth’s shadow.

• psandelle, Astrojensen, petert913 and 4 others like this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

That's a nice moon shot, especially given the scope!  I got started in astronomy with a Tasco 60mm...

Note:  your camera didn't take any darks, even with "long exposure noise reduction" on.  That only kicks in for exposures longer than 1 second, your 1/500 exposures wouldn't have kicked it on :)

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

Hmmmm, could be. I have it set on rather than automatic. Without it I get little blue hot pixels all over the place that I have to clone-out manually. With it I get clean images. I also get the taking and applying a dark pause. Me and long exposure noise reduction have been best buddies for a long time. :)

Curiouser and curiouser.

:)

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

Off: No noise reduction is applied. This setting is the default.

Auto: Noise reduction is applied when you use a shutter speed of 1 second or longer, but only if the camera detects the type of noise that’s caused by long exposures.

On: Noise reduction is always applied at exposures of 1 second or longer. (Note: Canon suggests that this setting may result in more noise than either Off or Auto when the ISO setting is 1600 or higher.)

At 1/500th, it shouldn't do anything. Ever. :)

Still a nice shot!

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:49 PM

Coolness.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics