•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New version of Stellarium very slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:36 AM

I recently upgraded Stellarium from 0.12.1-win32 to 0.19.0.1-win64 version, quite a version jump, and notice significant slow downs in program startup time and overall performance. I have quite modern system with i3-2120T 2.60 processor (2 cores, 4 threads), 8G of rams running on Windows 8.1. I know the system will not set sky on fire but is fast enough and sufficient on any other task I do. I experimented with reducing star catalogs but it has no effect. It seems that it is bug in software that creates the problem and no additional star catalogs. My graphic drivers are also up to date. I tried to run program with or without real time update paused without any difference. 
Is there any feature, module, setting or solution that I missed that can be disable/unable to alleviate that problem. I also attached screenshot, in the lower right corner you can see quite moderate load on CPU and memory. So what is the issue????

Attached Thumbnails

• stellarium2.jpg

#2 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

One thing to check is if the satellite plugin is disabled; because there are so many of them and they move fast, it adds calculation. 

The other thing I noticed is that on my desktop (a 12-core i7), the CPU usage increases for a few seconds when I click anywhere in Stellarium's window (presumably to compute the details that are displayed), but then it goes back to <1.5%. The I/O has regular brief spikes.

It'd be useful to get a snapshot of CPU activity specific to Stellarium, like the one I attached. You can do that with Process Explorer (launch it, double-click on the Stellarium process and go in the Performance Graph tab). This will give an indication whether the app itself is busy or something else is slowing it down.

Small CPU peaks when I clicked (with plateaus where I repeatedly clicked in various places).

stellarium.png

#3 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:27 PM

Satellites are disabled. This is retarded that with relatively modern computer I have to go to older version of the program so I do not deal with bugs :(

#4 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

You may want to post to the Stellarium forums, the developers will be able to help you better. But please be kinder with them, all of them are volunteers and no developer adds performance bugs on purpose. There may be something else causing the performance problems on your specific system since I haven't seen wide spread reports about such problems and I've used all versions for years as they were released. 

#5 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

ok thanks

#6 Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Barnaul, Siberia, Russia

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

Please give details about graphics card and their drivers.

#7 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

I have integrated Intel HD2500 graphics, driver 9.17.10.4229. 

Thank you for any help

#8 Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Barnaul, Siberia, Russia

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:11 AM

Hm... It's strange. Please try run Stellarium in ANGLE mode (Start -> Programs -> Stellarium -> Stellarium (ANGLE mode))

P.S. Could you check drivers on intel.com?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 gzotti

gzotti

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

The first few lines of the logfile contains relevant information about your hardware.

Text rendering is pretty slow. Consider reducing number of displayed labels.

In real-time mode, frame rate is reduced to conserve energy/reduce heat. The 5.43fps in the image may come from there. On the other hand, the Intel HD2500 is not exactly a race horse. I think it is even blacklisted by Qt to use at best ANGLE. However, ANGLE should give good results.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics