•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CCD Photometry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jamey L Jenkins

Jamey L Jenkins

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

Hi All,

Since the beginning of this year I've been pursuing a new purpose filled activity, CCD photometry of variable stars. Any worthwhile activity requires "doing your homework" therefore a number of months were dedicated to making contacts with knowledgeable people, learning new software, practicing and developing new skills. Finally, about halfway through the year I was at the telescope attempting the initial data collections. The initial observations have gone well, and I am confident in the data collected.

The target list for this summer has included three M types (Miras) and three semi-regular types (SRA and SRB) located in the constellation Cygnus. These stars are BG Cyg, R Cyg, RS Cyg, RZ Cyg, V Cyg, and WX Cyg. The only one to elude my camera so far has been V Cyg, a M type carbon star with a B-V color index of 2.45, extremely red. It has been too bright for observing with the V photometric filter, and to dim for me in the B photometric filter. But the star has changed in the last few months, and I hope to register measurable data soon.

Attached are a couple graph plots that I've contributed toward, called light curves which illustrate star brightness (magnitude on the vertical axis verses time on the horizontal). Each symbol represents an observation by a variable star observer. Black symbols are purely visual estimates, the red, green, or blue symbols indicate a photometric observation made through special red, green, or blue photometric filters. Also, included are two pics showing my CCD photometry gear: a 102mm f/7 William Optics refractor, an 80mm guidescope, and a 50mm f/1.4 video finder cam. Since the mount in my backyard observatory is a vintage manual push-pull with a Losmandy Digital drive and not a goto, the video cam finder has been a lifesaver for finding variables in crowded star fields. Cable management will be my next challenge as you can tell from the picture with the lap tops.

If you are looking for a rewarding activity that adds to the science of astronomy, I recommend finding out more about CCD photometry. There is a galaxy of variable stars visible from your backyard every night that seek your attention. And of course, variable star astronomy rocks!!

Jamey

Attached Thumbnails

• RZ_CYG.png
  • R_CYG.png
  • scope1a.jpg
  • cables_1.jpg

Edited by Jamey L Jenkins, 14 September 2019 - 03:40 PM.

• Ed Wiley, Hubert, giorgio_ne and 5 others like this

#2 KMA

KMA

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:04 AM

Thanks for interesting article.
Here is my purely visual (last night also)
observations of WX Cyg.
with best wishes
KMA

Attached Thumbnails

• WX CYG  by  KMA.png

• Ed Wiley, Jamey L Jenkins and smithrrlyr like this

#3 quality guy

quality guy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keithville Lousiaina

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Well spoken Jamey! thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics of your set up (digging the old school mount). I have been doing PEP with the AAVSO since the mid 80's with an 50's era Tinsley 10" f/15 classical cass. starting off with an Starlight 1 photometer and now with an Optec SSP5. Doing some real science is cool and I hope others get the bug! Thanks again for sharing!!

• Jamey L Jenkins likes this

#4 aitke12

aitke12

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Abu Dhabi

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:32 PM

Well spoken Jamey! thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics of your set up (digging the old school mount). I have been doing PEP with the AAVSO since the mid 80's with an 50's era Tinsley 10" f/15 classical cass. starting off with an Starlight 1 photometer and now with an Optec SSP5. Doing some real science is cool and I hope others get the bug! Thanks again for sharing!!

hi Quaily guy. Can you send me a PM.  for some reason it didnt let me. Im very interested AAVSO. Thanks again. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics