•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR camera tripod

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dalew

Dalew

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

It's me again, Dale.   Still gathering info about what telescope to start out with and have two questions.  I had read somewhere that you could use a camera tripod and ball head to mount a telescope to, but don't see where the plates would marry up.

I have a pretty darn sturdy carbon fiber tripod that is rated over 30 lbs, and  a Benro ball head with the Swiss Arca style mount.  Would I be able to attach the Swiss Arca plate to a  4 inch refractor telescope and just go at it?  Or must I have a telescope oriented mount?

If I do have to have a telescope mount, would that attach to my tripod 3/8 screw or do I have to have a telescope tripod too?

I am sure it can't be that easy, but thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Dale

#2 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

Yes, actually it can just be that easy.

Although there are several way to get everything mounted sturdily....

Edited by TikiTom, 14 September 2019 - 09:52 PM.

#3 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

I find you need slo-mo controls for observing, especially at higher powers.

I fixed my old Bogen tripod and got a video panning head for it, but still nudging is a major pain...

My Bogen and I got a Manfrotto compact seem to work okay with small scopes like my Meade Adventure Scope 60...

#4 rk2k2

rk2k2

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

Telescope mounts generally use a proprietary method to mount to their tripods.  Although, I believe it was iOptron that makes an adapter that connects to a standard tripod so it will mate to their mounts (it was somewhere around $80?).  There are also mounts specifically intended for use on standard tripods (manual and ones like the star adventurer), but those are more or less intended for lighter loads

As for connecting your scope to an arca swiss you need only screw a arca swiss plate to the dovetail of the scope (a dovetail that has the 1/4-20 or 3/8" holes).  I use Manfrotto plates (they have multiple series mine are the size used on their 393 head, 357 series I believe) that are width wise in between Vixen and Losmandy.  As mentioned by gkarris, if you don't have slow motion controls it can be a pia. 

#5 Dalew

Dalew

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:05 AM

Thanks, everyone. 

I went ahead and ordered the Celestron XLT 102 even though it appears to have an aluminum tripod.  I expect to be just a causal user so maybe it will be fine for my purposes.  

Should be here Tuesday.

Thanks,

Dale 

#6 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

It is possible, and with a rather longish plate you can balance the telescope pretty well.

If the telescope is properly balanced and have a good quality ballhead you can track very well even without slow motion controls (in fact there is a large number of alt/az mounts lacking slo-mo controls).

Indeed I use this head with a 4" refractor and 5" MCT (obviously with a different tripod than those depicted here):

gallery_215679_8115_517477.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics