•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

broken clouds make this viewing beautiful

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:15 PM

One of the most beautiful and exciting things for me to look at, is the full moon when there are lots of smaller or broken clouds moving fast across the face. It is fascinating to look at, did this tonight for a while. My 20 x 60 Pentax binoculars are excellent for this.

• EverlastingSky, Lewis Cason, Jim Waters and 6 others like this

#2 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

I once spent a night on the edge of an escarpment between the Henry Mountains and the Dirty Devil River (Utah). The night featured broken clouds, a full moon, and a couple of bottles of dark high gravity beer. Large mountains behind me and the Dirty Devil below me cut into mesas and canyons. No telescopes, but a very nice night.

• Jim Waters likes this

#3 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:41 PM

I took these through the window through my 70mm Meade birdie scope.,hand holding my 7"tablet.,lol.,Very cool night watching the clouds.,cheers.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190816_022348.jpg
  • 20190816_021615.jpg
  • 20190816_022334.jpg

• Lewis Cason, Jim Waters, PirateMike and 2 others like this

#4 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

I agree. A recliner, binoculars, fast moving clouds and the moon give me lots of viewing enjoyment.

• Jim Waters, PirateMike and clusterbuster like this

#5 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

I'm pretty much interested in the "high gravity beer"

• PirateMike likes this

#6 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

I'm pretty much interested in the "high gravity beer"

A good Russian Imperial Stout, as I recall, but it could have been a Scottish Ale or a Baltic Porter. In the neighborhood of 8 to 12% ABV and DARK, beer that you sip and not beer that you guzzle. Under the circumstances recalling the exact beer proves difficult. What little short term memory capacity I had was taken up with the views from Burr Point into the Robbers Roost country, Sams Mesa, the Dirty Devil River (about 1400 feet below Burr Point), Happy Canyon (across the River) and Poison Springs Canyon (on my side of the river). To the west at about 11,500 feet are the Henry Mountains - which are about 6000 feet above Burr Point and provided an excellent sunset.

The Henrys are a laconolith - volcano(s) that didn't quite make it to the surface. They are about 30 million years old while the Dirty Devil lies in rock of Permian age, maybe 300 million years old. So you get to look at something like 250 million years worth of geologic time. 

I've been there twice over the years- it is very dark, and twenty miles of dirt road through the Burr Desert means you won't have much company. The moon and fast, broken clouds are icing on a very good cake.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics